• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 vs. CME UF8?

Share/Bookmark

M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 vs. CME UF8?

I'm looking at dropping some cash on a really good MIDI keyboard controller. I think I've narrowed it down to the M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, or the CME UF8. Any suggestions on either one?

They both have lots of knobs & faders which is great.. I'm assuming I can bind all of those to controls in Sonar 6. I notice the CME UF8 has transport controls too.. play, stop, rewind, etc.. those are really nice. I'm assuming if I hit those, it will control Sonar? Can the Keystation do that too?

Any input is welcome and appreciated. Thanks.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 vs. CME UF8?

HI Sam,
    if youre a real Piano player you probably wont like either, but i favor the M-audio.
    if youre more a synth guy then the CME offers more control and i like it better.

both have near identical "weighted" action

Scott
    ADK

Hi Sam,

I'm one of those "real" piano guys Scott referred to. I ordered and returned a CME, tried many others, and splurged on a Doepfer LMK4+. It has a lovely action, on par with the better dedicated piano keyboards (which unfortunately lack needed controller features). With the Doepfer you'll never want MIDI-wise, and it's built like a tank.

The VMK line from Studiologic also looks interesting (to me especially the 76 key, for getting on planes), and certainly more affordable than the Doepfer:

http://www.studiologic.net/NAMM_VMK-web.pdf

Cheers,
    Mark

If you may excuse my ignorance in this sector, but why 30+ knobs (like M-Audio)?
    I mean I almost always use EWQL products (symphonic libraries), and I really don't see the reason for too many knobs... I can understand a few, but the rest???

From what I gather, for something close to a piano, you need the Doepfer LMK4+? Or something simmilar maybe? But ouch: The price is 1300 euros? It's a bit spicy!

Any other suggestions for real piano touch? Don't care about the knobs (unless someone can point to me why you need so many of them), don't care about the sounds (already got software), don't care about size and weight (will be in the studio all time), care about mod wheel of course, and the touch/feel of the piano, care about pedals...

Oh... and care to find it in London (or Athens) to try it out... :S

Hey Nicolas,

The knobs are more of a synth thing, for people doing electronic music, playing live, stuff like that.

Yeah, the Doepfer is ridiculous. My best guess for decent action for less money is the VMKplus series referenced in my post above. Still probably going to drop a $1000 on the 88 model.

Cheers.

Yes, as I suspected it...

And by the way both models you mention on your previous post, seem to lead me to pages dated 2004 or around there ,and seem to be out of stock...

Well... anyways, will look into the matter further more. Thanks for the help.

I am not a real piano player.. I'm a fake one. But don't tell anyone

Once in a while I do piano solo stuff, but 95% of the time I'm doing orchestral compositions. So true piano feel is not a concern for me. I'm looking for preferably semi-weighted keys. Unweighted synth keys just feel too bizarre to me.

So.. UF8 vs. Keystation Pro 88?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    I am not a real piano player.. I'm a fake one. But don't tell anyone

Once in a while I do piano solo stuff, but 95% of the time I'm doing orchestral compositions. So true piano feel is not a concern for me. I'm looking for preferably semi-weighted keys. Unweighted synth keys just feel too bizarre to me.

So.. UF8 vs. Keystation Pro 88?
    We're in the same boat Sam. I'm turning to the M-audio side because I've read that CME keys tend to break....
    M-audio don't have aftertouch and BC but I think that I can live without it.
    I just need 88 keys, kkobs, exspression pedal input and mod&pitch wheel (normal, not as a joystick or something like that)

I wouldn't purchase a controller without aftertouch. You'll be seeing quite a few more libraries using aftertouch for more playable samples. Many of the new Garritan products use aftertouch.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    I wouldn't purchase a controller without aftertouch. You'll be seeing quite a few more libraries using aftertouch for more playable samples. Many of the new Garritan products use aftertouch.

Jim
    You know.... CME with aftertouch and keys full of errors or Maudio without aftertouch....
    I can't test Fatar keys in Poland...
    no Other controllers too

so what can I do ??

Go Back to forum