• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Performance at Severance Hall

Share/Bookmark

OT: Performance at Severance Hall

Well, last night was a big night for me. I conducted the Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony in the premiere performance of a piece I wrote last spring called: "A Spirit from the Past". It was a real thrill to walk to the podium where some of the world's most renowned conductors stood. Franz Welser-Möst, Christoph von Dohnányi, and George Szell just to name a few. My dressing room was across the hall from Bill Preucil's room (concertmaster of the Cleveland Orchestra).

The performance was fantastic. My piece was not by far the hardest one on their program. They played Alford's "The Army of the Nile", Hazo's "Exultate" and Gillingham's "Sails of Time" to name a few. The group is comprised of the best high school student musician's from about 80 northeast Ohio high schools. There are 128 players in CYWS I who performed my piece. They have a CYWS II which also performed and it has as many players.

I wish you all could have been there. They did have a recording made and will be pressing CDs. When I get a CD, I will be glad to post an mp3 of my piece, along with the GPO version if anyone is interested.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: OT: Performance at Severance Hall

Congratulations Rich! That's awesome! I'm sure it was an unforgettable experience. Please share the performance if you can!
    Take care,
    Steph

Congratulations.

Jim

Many warm congratulations, Richard -- that must
    have been quite a thrill. There's nothing quite
    like the experience of holding that stick... lol...
    especially in front of your own work!

Looking forward to hearing the MP3!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks Stephanie, I appreciate the kind words.

Thanks Jim!

David
    Yeah, it was a thrill, indeed. I had to go out and buy a new baton (been away from teaching for over 6 years now). I got a professional model (it must have been 'cause Sam Ash charged $20.00 for it). LOL

At least I'll be able to use it. Next week I return to my old teaching grounds as a substitute teacher for a former student of mine who replaced me when I retired. She is going in for surgery and will be out for a month or better.

Thanks for all the comments

Rich

Congratulations! I wish I could've been there too... I certainly look forward to hearing the performance when you upload it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Rich,

What an experience! To conduct, and for your own piece, that is quite an accomplishment. 128 piece band and your own dressing room too!

I wish we could have been there. Looking forward to hearing it and I hope you made a video so we can see Maestro Rich in action.

Congratulations!

Gary Garritan

Gee. They used to make me get dressed in a phone booth...

I wonder what that means.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Gary,
    Sorry, no video allowed at Severance Hall. heck I couldn't even have my wife take a still shot. ;-( But, I will put an mp3 online as soon as I get it! Thanks so much for the comments!

David,
    Yeah, the bathroom alone was bigger than 5 phone booths! LOL

Sean,
    You could have been there if you put your clarinet down long enough to drive to Cleveland!

Thanks for the comments everyone. They are certainly appreciated.

Rich

Rich,

Congratulations! What a thrill! I'm looking forward to hearing the mp3 when you post it. This sounds like one of those great moments you'll never forget...

Regards,

Jim
    RealSax.com "When you need real sax in your tracks."
    http://www.realsax.com

Go Back to forum