• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Westgate modular Oboe: any custom K2 program to share?

Share/Bookmark

Question Westgate modular Oboe: any custom K2 program to share?

Being an oboist, I'm probably more sensible to excessive semplification in Oboe solos sound and articulation nuances, than in other instruments I know more from theory or only as a listener .

I already own very expressive Oboe program (e.g. GPO), but too basic for articulation, and very good articulations (e.g. KH Emerald), but all disconnected and less omogeneous/controllable.

To better satisfy my need, I've been attracted by the modular Solo oboe, because of the good sound and rich K2 programming. I downloaded it yesterday.
    I'm quite happy with the overall quality of the product: it's maybe expensive to buy DVD after DVD the whole orchestra, but the single instrument is quite affordable too, and I like the immediate-download option.

NOW:
    - programs are excellent for every type of slow, long and expressive playing, and again wonderful for every kind of short staccatos and marcatos, with good repetition control etc.

- No one program or KS is ready to use mixing short and long articulation, and it forces to create separate channels to have a complex and articulated solo line reproduced.

I can custom program my K2, but actually I'm a bit lazy and short of time
    Is somebody in Westgate available for suggestions? (did I forget something?)
    Is some user already programming custom .nki long+short articulation programs, and available to share it?

Thanks in advance for every kind of help or comments.

Re: Westgate modular Oboe: any custom K2 program to share?

Well - in theory at least - I am working on a Westgate Oboe .nki along the lines of the Stradivari, but it is not finished yet. Time is a scarce commodity, I am afraid

Fabio,

I'm glad to hear that a real oboist likes the WG oboe. It confirms my opinion - but I've never, ever played a real one.

I recently got the flute DVD, and I think it's even better than the oboe DVD. The alto flute is really rich, and the flute ensemble is nice, but I find that the piccolo really stands out. I've generally found the piccolo to be shrill, but this one is musical and sweet, while still having a much brighter tone than the flute.

Regarding K2 programming, I can't comment, as I use GS3. Good luck getting some nice scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    NOW:
    - programs are excellent for every type of slow, long and expressive playing, and again wonderful for every kind of short staccatos and marcatos, with good repetition control etc.

- No one program or KS is ready to use mixing short and long articulation, and it forces to create separate channels to have a complex and articulated solo line reproduced.

I can custom program my K2, but actually I'm a bit lazy and short of time
    Is somebody in Westgate available for suggestions? (did I forget something?)
    Is some user already programming custom .nki long+short articulation programs, and available to share it?

Thanks in advance for every kind of help or comments.
    Same here.

I don't think this is a scripting task. Correct me if I'm wrong but to get the long and short notes in one keyswitchable patch, wouldn't you open both in Kontakt and cut and paste the groups from one to the other, then assign keyswitches to the groups - about a half an hour's work right?

...or, just load both patches in Kontakt and assign them to the same MIDI channel and edit the keyswitches so that certain groups are turned off in one patch when others are turned on in another. This would probably be a little quicker to do, but I would prefer the first as it would be cleaner and you would then save the patch and be able to recall it as a single instrument.

Of course you can do keyswitching by script as well, but still all the groups need to be copied to one patch.

fizbin - Thanks for the tips.

Nickie - I hope you'll find a little time to pursue your ideas on this. It sounds promising.

Best.

If it's just a matter of adding keyswitches, that can be done in the GS3 version either by editing a new Gig, or by stacking, tweaking the stack properties to add keyswitches and saving the instrument. No scripting required. Or, you can just use program changes.

The advantages of using multiple tracks are a) you only load the articulations that you need, saving RAM, and b) you can control overlaps and expressions more fully on separate tracks. That's true for both the K2 and GS3 versions.

No keyswitches. No program changes. No layered midi tracks with endless tweaking of CCs in sequencer afterward. Oh please... I want to play a musical instrument, not be a programmer. I want to play oboe on the keyboard, live, with the correct expressions (via breath, modwheel, or whatever) and have it come out just like a real oboe, indistinguishable from the real thing, without tweaking. Is that too much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    No keyswitches. No program changes. No layered midi tracks with endless tweaking of CCs in sequencer afterward. Oh please... I want to play a musical instrument, not be a programmer. I want to play oboe on the keyboard, live, with the correct expressions (via breath, modwheel, or whatever) and have it come out just like a real oboe, indistinguishable from the real thing, without tweaking. Is that too much to ask?
    Then just load the Vibrato Legato oboe and play. It's really good out of the box. It includes a filter (on CC4, I think) that you can use for expression. In GS3, I like to use the DEF expression filter on the mod-wheel. You can play trills, runs, staccato and legato with expression in real time.

If you want some notes to not use vibrato, or you want to use the pre-recorded staccato samples, crescendos or performances for that last ounce of reality, you either need keyswitches, multiple tracks or a mind-reading script.

The great thing is that you can play the Westgate oboe naturally and in real time and get a fine, musical result. Any additional tweaks are gravy, and aren't needed if you're happy with an excellent serving of potatoes with tasty legato butter.

Yes I know Jon, I was half kidding actually. If the real time play is so good there should be no need for any of that keyswitch, yadda yadda yadda business... From what I've heard though, there's still plenty of room for improvement.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast