• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Beta-tester on new products... :-/

Share/Bookmark

Beta-tester on new products... :-/

Well...

Obviously if I posted in their forum the thread would've been deleted in a flash! So I'm here instead! I know that many members cross post so...

A company starting with E and ending with W (:P) is having a contest... The winners (5 of them), will get to be beta-testers for their 5 new produc ts! And further more when the products are released the winners will (of course) get license to use the product they beta-tested...

This seems like a really 2 sided sword...

Of course being a beta tester is a kind of honour, but as far as I know it is a paid job! And not badly paid. and it takes skills to do beta testing, not just be a composer.

Plus with this comp, the above company has a right to use YOUR music as demos for their products!

So from the companys' side I see this:

* Get 20+ demos to use for our new products.
    * Get beta testers!
    * Show our good self!
    * Cost nothing (since each product should be at cost of 5-10$???? No more (<-not counting the initial expensed to record an orchestra! Keep that in mind...)

And actually at their site... things are starting to get a little angry...

I'm not sure I will take part either way as I usually use other libraries as well, and well you cannot supress yourself and you music to only a certain companys' products, becasue of the competition. Further more it is kinda difficult ot find time, and the music I curretnyl work on cannot be posted, ofr obvious reasons... Just to clear it up...

So...

Discuss...

Re: Beta-tester on new products... :-/

Nikolas,

I think you guys are overreacting immensly. So the company beginning with E and ending with W wasn't good enough to write the rules and they're making some last minute changes.. So what? The fact that they DO have a contest is still amazing !! Even after people f..k it up every, single time by breaking the rules or forcing the company to make new rules!!

The way I see it: Either enter the contest or don't..

The prize of becoming a beta-tester may be sound like a terrible, terrible prize to you, because you won't make the $1000 per minute of music or whatever you charge.. But for the rest of us, who are struggling months saving every penny to be able to buy their very expensive products it would be a highly preferable method of obtaining their new products. Even if it means that you have to create music (which we are all here for!!).

Sorry for being so harsh.. It just pisses me off that very few people sometimes ruin good things for many people!

This is NOT a personal attack. I'm not yelling at you, Nikolas!

/thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Regin
    The prize of becoming a beta-tester may be sound like a terrible, terrible prize to you, because you won't make the $1000 per minute of music or whatever you charge...
    hehe...

check the thread about how much RAM you're using for my post, and you'll see that financaily I'm not sooo much better than you.

I'm just always trying to see things from all angles possible...

Either way, as I said, I really don't have much time to compose something for the competition... andsince I said so there, it's done now. No need to worry for that. I have enough troubles as it is...

Thank you for posting, and I know you're not yelling at me Thomas...

I don't see any reason to be upset over this, no one is forced to participate. It seems pretty common that beta testers create demos. Personally I view it as a win-win situation for the developers. They get outstanding demos created to showcase their product, trouble shooting and user suggestions during the beta period all for a copy of the final product.

It seems like composers are all too willing to create music for little or no pay all the time, at least during this process they're the first to get to play with the new toys.

JT

They'll get what they pay for.

Yeh, I'm still feeling a bit undecided about this contest.. I 'm not sure if I will enter or not... probably depends on if I have enough time to finish a demo between now and Xmas!

The benefits are pretty cool... being recognized as an official beta tester and having an early preview of the new products would be great.

On the other hand, being a beta tester is essentially a full-time job. You really need to have the ability to try things that other people might not ever think about doing..!

Maybe the company doesn't actually expect too much from these five testers..? I mean, you really need a concrete testing plan and a problem-report database in order to make real progress at this level. Simply handing someone a product and saying "test this" is not really going to provide useful feedback... so I hope they have a beta tester package that would be sent out with guidelines for how to test and a checklist of features they need feedback on.

---

Nikolas: I'm not sure about the "20+ demos for the new products" that you mentioned... do you mean music that is submitted in the contest, or do you mean demo tracks composed by the 5 winning beta testers?

AFAIK, that company has been pretty good so far about only using the actual winning entries from their contests as demos (even though the wording suggests they could use all the entries).

---

I guess it all comes down to how much you value your time. I could easily spend 20+ hours working on a 3-minute demo track so it really depends on if the cost of the product plus the hours of beta testing are worth that to me.

Then again, I would really love to try out the new products!

Cheers,

- Matt

Thumbs down Re: Beta-tester on new products... :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    They'll get what they pay for.
    BANG! Hit the nail right on the head...
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Beta testing isn't usually a paid job.
    Sean Beeson
    www.seanbeeson.com
    Composer for videogames, film and television

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    And actually at their site... things are starting to get a little angry...
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Beeson
    Beta testing isn't usually a paid job.
    Yeah - if it were, do you know how many people would be lining up to be beta testers???? LOL

Contest or no contest they should get me to be a Beta tester. If anybody can "F" up a piece of software it's gotta be me!!!!

Darrem
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Go Back to forum