• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pastorale

Share/Bookmark

Pastorale

Just some quiet winter melody floating through my head. Thought you might enjoy it. It is set in a quartal harmony (for the most part).

Just link to:

Pastorale

Enjoy and let me know what you think!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Pastorale

Rich,

Nice piece, unusual harmony, aways a feeling like in a suspension series. But it works well for this piece. As well as the scoring and use of the GPO.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

I enjoyed it. I thought the brass was a little loud where they come in but on second listen it feels fine to me.

The only thing I noticed was at the end the string section moves pretty fast and that always sounds a little synthy to me. Maybe adding some individual strings(violins?)there would give it a little more realism if that's what want to achieve.

Keep it coming.

Phil

Very nice harmonic language. I agree with the other comment about the strings - they could be layered for more realism. I've found, though, that what sounds good as a Wav/Aif file ends up sounding "synthy" when compressed into an mp3. Probably not much to be done about that.

Nice piece - the title is very apt.

Thanks for sharing!

R. Pearl

Thanks for the comments guys.

Gary,
    The harmonic structure was from a mood I was in (maybe a little apprehensive?). I will be conducting the premiere of one of my pieces at Severence Hall tonight and this piece was a way to get that off my mind. Guess I didn't get it off my mind!

Phil
    I thought the brass were too loud originally and I toned them down immensely in my sequencer. I am having problems either understanding volume versus number of parts in a mix in my sequencer (Tracktion). One instrument by itself is barely audible (when soloed) but put all 30 some tracks on and WHAM they are all louder than needed. I know its in the mix and I'm still (always) learning how to do that.

I did want the brass at their first entrance to be a bit more though because the melodic texture and phrasing was different than the opening melody.

R. Pearl
    Thanks for your comments, too! My ears hear the same thing when I compressed the .wav to an .mp3. In my Final Mix software (Soundforge) the strings sound pretty good. I did layer some of the string parts with solo players (1st violin and Cello) and it sounded good in the original mix. But, after compressing to even an above CD audio quality, the strings do go a little tinny. I will try layering multiple solo strings with the sus/short and pizzicato strings and see what happens.

Again, I appreciate the comments.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Gary,
    The harmonic structure was from a mood I was in (maybe a little apprehensive?). I will be conducting the premiere of one of my pieces at Severence Hall tonight and this piece was a way to get that off my mind. Guess I didn't get it off my mind!
    WOW...Severence Hall... VERY cool. Best of luck. Wish I could be there to hear it. But tonight here I will be attending an Eastman Tuba Mirum concert.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

I really enjoyed this, I especially like the pizzicato. I am also quite fond of that melody in the strings. The brass now sounds perfect through my headphones. The only thing my brain seems to want is a large crescendo to that main melody... Nice work!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Rich:

Very nice piece and well produced with GPO. Enjoyed listening. Quartal harmony is interesting and you have employed it well.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Sean,
    Thanks for the comments Sean. I don't really hear the point in the music you think should crescendo, but I guess that's why it is the way I mixed.

Jack,
    Thanks for listening. I do appreciate the comments. I am trying different harmonic structures to try and break out of the triadic mode (so to speak). Quartal harmony has such a calming effect on me, though some have commented on the tension in the lines.

To all,
    I have uploaded a improved version which adds over 20 string solo players to the mix with some subtle radomness to each players notes and start times. I quess my old, old marching band ears have lost their keeness, but in the mp3, I hear very little difference. I have replace the original with the new one so hearing comparison won't work unless you have alread downloaded the previous version. If there is a desire to compare, I will repost the other version to do a side by side comparison.

Thanks everyone!

Rich

Very nice work, Rich

I really enjoyed this composition.. and the rendering was also well done!

~Jeff

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast