• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about the Giga Memory tweak

Share/Bookmark

Question about the Giga Memory tweak

Hi all. This is probably a fairly silly question, but hey, I'm a pretty silly guy. I've been having mixed success getting the Memory Optimizing to work. I've used Matthias' tweak, and was able to go from about 48% of total memory up to 57%, but wasn't able to successfully load my instruments with that setting, so I put it back to the 48% setting (don't remember what setting it was on, it was a while ago, and not really the main purpose of this post).

My question is this: I remember reading that Giga can only make use of 2 gigs of RAM. If this is the case, could I put 4 GB of RAM in my machine, and have Giga use 48% of that, which would be under 2 GB total? I've got 2 GB in the PC now, and so am getting only about 480 MB of sounds loaded.

My PC is a dedicated Giga machine, no other software running at the same time.

Thanks.

Jeff

Re: Question about the Giga Memory tweak

You need the 3 Gb switch to run more than 2Gb... but i hear GS3 doesn't work well with the 3 Gb switch... so i hear.

The most you can load is a bit more than 1 Gb with 2GB ram..

You want to upgrade to GVi if you want to have more memory... up to 2.7 GB i hear...

Hi everyone,

Can anyone explain why GS3 has an apparent limit of approx. 1.1 GB RAM usage for the sample attacks?

I have a (very) large multi instrument — 66 instruments all on bank '0' with individual program change numbers — I want to load and I can't because of this restriction (I think).

I can load the data easily (as separate instruments) in Kontakt 2 (using DFD), on the same machine, but it doesn't seem to permit the attachment of bank & program change numbers to instruments or the construction of multi instruments as does GS3.

Can the GVI plugin load a massive multi-instrument in one slot? GS3 loads the first — I mean multi instruments that aren't too large, not my huge one — with the rest 'waiting' in the loaded instruments window (this is all I need it to do).

Finally, what exactly is the 'memory' indicator bar showing at the low right corner of the screen? Mine was showing 11% when it refused to load any more data. Doesn't seem right.

Thanks for any advice,

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Sure. The problem is that when GS3 which is a kernel-mode application (like drivers etc) reaches about 1.1 GB the memory allocation call fails for some reason when allocating system memory... As stupid and simple as it sounds, this is the exact reason. The other software samplers including GVI all run in user-mode and use another part of the memory which allows for near 2GB of memory usage (with the /3GB switch enabled near 3GB).

So why on earth did Tascam, originally Nemesys, build a kernel-mode application you might ask when the memory access is limited? The answer to this is that they needed the better performance of kernel-mode apps back then and by the time GS first was released God knows that not many people thought that 1GB ever would be a problem...at least for a long time.

To answer your question regarding the memory meter it shows the relationship between current load and a theoretical maximum that is calculated by GS3. The theoretical maximum on a 2GB machine is about 1.54 GB but as we know we're stuck at about 1.1GB due to the problem discussed above. To get a "true" value in MB of the current load, check the mem usage value under processes in task manager for the process msg32.exe.

/Mattias

MIcrosoft has addressed a memory leak in parent-child windows (software engineering term) and issued a fix..it is available at microsoft as well as at cakewalk.com

Hey andyj, thanks for letting me know about that fix. Just one thing, where in the Microsoft and Cakewalk sites did you find that link?

Thanks.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JZilla View Post
    Hey andyj, thanks for letting me know about that fix. Just one thing, where in the Microsoft and Cakewalk sites did you find that link?

Thanks.

Jeff
    Never mind :-)
    I found what I wanted to know. ( google )

Go Back to forum