• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: question to CME UF8 users...

Share/Bookmark

Question question to CME UF8 users...

I'm thinking of buying UF8 Midi controller....
    I've tested it today... nice keys, nice aftertouch, looks solid....

The only thing that worries me is the USB driver problems described here and there...

Can any1 tell me what will I miss by using Midi0Out connection instead of USB connection ????

Re: question to CME UF8 users...

Use the midi - it's flawless.

The only thing you may not be able to use is the transport controls - everything else works fine through midi.

Yes, there are SERIOUS usb troubles with the driver.

However, I have other usb keyboards and they also had intermittent problems. Even my Korg controller had problems - and Korg is usually the best.

The CME UF8 is a KICK ~~~ controller. Buy it.

Mike

Definitely use midi rather than usb if you buy one. But...

The keys on mine seize up after a few minutes of not playing, so unless you routinely run a palm over all the keys just before a performance, some will be stiffer than others, depending on how long it's been since they were last struck. This is just about bearable in the house for me, but a real pain on a gig. Maybe the new ones have been fixed, so I'd advise you to check this out in a shop before you buy. Play a bit, leave it for a few minutes, then see how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by irvind
    The keys on mine seize up after a few minutes of not playing, so unless you routinely run a palm over all the keys just before a performance, some will be stiffer than others, depending on how long it's been since they were last struck.
    Sorry my english is not perfect... can You clear this for me ???

The keys get very stiff if you don't play them. This happens a lot.

I hate this keyboard. The velocity response is awful no matter how you set it. Keys stick at the top as was mentioned.

This was a bad purchase based on Craig Anderton's review (very stupid no my part).

If you are in the Boston area and really do like these please take mine for CHEAP.

This thing is a hunk of junk for any serious pianist IMO. How's that for a sales pitch?

Quote Originally Posted by football
    I hate this keyboard. The velocity response is awful no matter how you set it. Keys stick at the top as was mentioned.

This was a bad purchase based on Craig Anderton's review (very stupid no my part).

If you are in the Boston area and really do like these please take mine for CHEAP.

This thing is a hunk of junk for any serious pianist IMO. How's that for a sales pitch?
    You know... I'm not a serious pianist....
    I just need an 88 key controller for KS programs without transposing, with some knobs, Expression pedal input, Mod-wheel and pitch-wheel... and Aftertouch would be nice to have...

My options in Poland to test in price-range are:
    1) CME UF8
    2) M-audio Keystation pro 88

CME has aftertouch, M-audio has not
    M-audio keys are louder and higher and I like CME's keys more.

so... what Can I say....
    I was testing both for 2 hours....
    There was no problems with any of them.
    Both connected via USB to windows XP, Cubase SX 3

Quote Originally Posted by football

Sounds like you got a bad one. The keys on mine don't stick at all and the velocity response seems fine. Sure, I wouldn't use it as my main keyboard for piano (I use an MP9500) unless I was on a tight budget but I've got no complaints and can get a decent performance from it when using it with Black Grand. Better for Haydn than Bartok!.
    Trev Parks

"The keys on mine seize up after a few minutes of not playing, so unless you routinely run a palm over all the keys just before a performance, some will be stiffer than others, depending on how long it's been since they were last struck."

I have this problem also. I've found that if you slam them hard a couple of times with your closed fist, it frees them up for a little longer than just playing them. A frustating flaw, and one that doesn't speak very highly of the quality control from this company. Anyone found a permanent solution for this? I also agree that the USB drivers are crap. What a missed opportunity with this keyboard ... so much potential and such a disappointment.

There is no permanent solution to that. I dont have the keyboard (i have UF7) but i tried it and did research about it. According to the CME testers on their forum it happens because if you dont play the keys for some time, they dry. When the key is struck it dips in some kind of lubricating oil and plays as it should. Unfortunately, bacause of a very bad design i guess, this oil dries after some time so before every performance you have to do a run over the whole keyboard so neither of the keys will be stuck.

Go Back to forum