• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 20th Century Music Composition Lesson 1

Share/Bookmark

20th Century Music Composition Lesson 1

Hey everyone,

Here's the first Lesson in the 20th Century Music Composition Course. It's entitled: Lesson 1: Creating an Original Tone Row and Matrix

www.jonathoncox.com/Lesson 1.pdf

Let me know if there are any problems. The second lesson will be coming as soon as I can get it done.

I would love to hear feedback.

Good luck,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: 20th Century Music Composition Lesson 1

First of all, thank you! This is a very nice offering to the community!

some observations if you don't mind...

Try to name in a different way the lessons. It would benefit people with sloppy saving habbits (like me). Lesson1 does not say much of it's contents, or what it's about, or at least the course. Maybe a name like 20thcenturylesson1 would be better, or something simmilar anyway (I'm very bad with names).

A very good idea would be to give out an introduction of what you aim to do in whole, and what the course has. I'm sure that you already have this planned out, so let your audience (and me) have it. I'm dying to know what's coming at lesson 3

I'm not exactly sure if starting out directly and straight away with the 12 row and serial ideas is the best thing to start. I guess Schoenberg is the father of 20th century music, but maybe harmonic issues, and ideas could come first maybe. But again, this is most personal and not exactly a "valid" comment or feedback.

I'm kinda worried when the next lessons will come. "When I find time to finish it", is valid, and certainly fair enough in a free offering, but bear in mind that your PM inbox may fill with questions about the next lesson.

Other than that, the language is fine (for a non native speaker like me), and flows really naturaly. The examples and the way you explain things are crispy clear and the graphs are just fine as they are.

Finally, once again:

I wish to thank you for doing this. You're most generous!

Jonny,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on 20th century explorations.

Your lesson 1 allow me to realize that sudoku (Which I'm addicted) is the perfect matrix to create Twelve-tone compositions !

SergeD

Thanks Jonny. The lesson looks clear enough and I will definitely work it through and develp a matrix.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I have worked through lesson 1 and found it to be easy to follow and had no problem getting a matrix set up. As a matter of fact, I have done a matrix with my brother last winter in a spreadsheet program and after I followed your tutorial, I plugged the original row as numbers into the spreadsheet program and viola! it turned out exactly as your instruction showed when I did it by hand. I think your lesson is top notched and clear as can be. A simple step of following the lesson will produce a matrix of Prime, Inversion, Retrograde and Retrograde Inversion.

Thanks for the lesson!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Jonny,

This is terrific. Thanks for sharing your knowedge with us.

If you don't mind, perhaps we can put this in the Education forum too.

Thanks again,

Gary Garritan

A most worthwhile contribution, Jonny; thank you!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

The link is DEAD! can you make it available please?

C.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    Hey everyone,

Here's the first Lesson in the 20th Century Music Composition Course. It's entitled: Lesson 1: Creating an Original Tone Row and Matrix

www.jonathoncox.com/Lesson 1.pdf

Let me know if there are any problems. The second lesson will be coming as soon as I can get it done.

I would love to hear feedback.

Good luck,
    Jonny

C.S.

Hello. Sorry about the dead link. I had to wipe my server a while back. I'll try to locate the file and see if I can upload it again. I'll let you know.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    C.S.
    I'll try to locate the file and see if I can upload it again. I'll let you know.
    Jonny
    I hope you have not forgotten us! I do hope to do some serious 20th century music study.

thanks much again.
    Chekad Sarami
    Math Professor

Go Back to forum