• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPOA/GOS2 idea: "Lite" programs for composing

Share/Bookmark

GPOA/GOS2 idea: "Lite" programs for composing

Hi!

Just this morning I had another idea which I would love to have in all sample libraries. Maybe this was already suggested, so please bear with me.

The problem: Modern sample libraries are huge and not everyone can afford 5 networked computers to run them. For me this is a big problem when composing, since I constantly run out of RAM and have to bounce and whatnot.... kills the creativity.

The solution: Why not create 2 sets of programs for a sample library? One regular, which is totally like the ones we are used to. And one "lite" or "economy"/"composing" set which has EXACTELY the same programming BUT drastically reduced samples (meaning: less volume layers, no chromatically sampled notes) per note. Basically for thevery instrument/articulation in the library there would be these 2 program sets.

The advantage: Since every program in the library would be available in 2 versions, one could compose with the lite one. Later, when rendering the output for mixing, you could simply load the "full" program into your sequencer and just bounce the song in multiple runs.

Disadvantage: Besides the increased work for the library creator and possible confusion regarding the folder structure (similar to what happened with GPO 1.0 and the "Dry/Wet" folders) I can not think of any.

Of course somebody will now say: Why don't you just do that yourself? Well, not everyone has the full versions of Kontakt/Gigastudio AND the neccessary expertise and time to do it. Some just want to load and compose.

What do you guys think about my idea?
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Re: GPOA/GOS2 idea: "Lite" programs for composing

Already been done. This is exactly how JABB has been programmed. The normal samples, and the same set of Lite instruments.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete
    Hi!
    The problem: Modern sample libraries are huge and not everyone can afford 5 networked computers to run them. For me this is a big problem when composing, since I constantly run out of RAM and have to bounce and whatnot.... kills the creativity.
    Totally agree. It's very hard to compose section per section. It limits exploration of instruments and sections combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete
    The advantage: Since every program in the library would be available in 2 versions, one could compose with the lite one. Later, when rendering the output for mixing, you could simply load the "full" program into your sequencer and just bounce the song in multiple runs.
    And why not having an exact "full" replication using mp3 files instead of waves ? A complete orchestra could be load on one computer. Once everything done the wave version could be load section per section for recording.

That would be great.

SergeD

Quote Originally Posted by Serge
    And why not having an exact "full" replication using mp3 files instead of waves ? A complete orchestra could be load on one computer. Once everything done the wave version could be load section per section for recording.

SergeD
    Not comletely sure about this, but I imagine a roadblock using MP3s would be the latency, because an MP3 file must be decoded before it can be played whereas wave files are very readily run. Not sure either about existing lower-latency drivers (ASIO,WDM) and their capabilities with decoding mp3 layers on the fly. Anyone want to develop a new type of driver?

But in concept, it's a good idea.

Ok then what about using a 22 Khz sample rate version ?

SergeD

It's a great idea, but we can do it ourself...
    Just edit patch in Sampler.... remove all the samples and strech one for each octave so we will make the patch less memory sample (12 times less memory)
    Just an example....

freezing?

most of the sequencers out there support it.
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum