• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Considering changing my CPU...

Share/Bookmark

Considering changing my CPU...

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU - right now it's a P4 2.4 ghz (socket 478), and maybe not quite fast enough for my needs. I work on rather large orchestral scores.

I'm considering getting a 3.4 ghz dual processor with hyperthreading.

two choices I have are a Prescott with a 1meg cache, or a Northwood with a 512k cache
    any recommendations on these two choices?

I use Finale 2006/2007 with my full GPO, and no sequencer other than that (I'm not interested).

are there any issues between GPO and dual processors?
    or with hyperthreading?

Re: Considering changing my CPU...

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    I'm looking to upgrade my CPU - right now it's a P4 2.4 ghz (socket 478), and maybe not quite fast enough for my needs. I work on rather large orchestral scores.

I'm considering getting a 3.4 ghz dual processor with hyperthreading.

two choices I have are a Prescott with a 1meg cache, or a Northwood with a 512k cache
    any recommendations on these two choices?

I use Finale 2006/2007 with my full GPO, and no sequencer other than that (I'm not interested).

or with hyperthreading?
    I am using an Centrino 1.7 MHz that equals about a P4 with 3.0 MHz in performance.

I wish I had double the performance at least. Once you are going the path of convolution reverb it eats all up.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

or with hyperthreading?
    Sorry I can't answer this - but I'd like to know too if anyone can help. I suspect a number of us are wondering what to do now that dual core is coming down in price. My guess is that for users of just GPO and Finale (like myself), memory is more important than processor power - but I'm not sure what the benefits of a dual core would be in our situation. I'm currently using a Pentium at 2.4 GHz - but apart from the more expensive dual core(2)s, most individual cores run at less than 2.4. So, would I actually suffer decreased CPU performance if Finale and GPO doesn't make use of dual core?

Graham

Graham,

You can't compare the processor speed of the Core 2 Duo with the older P4 processors. Even with 1 core, a Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz would outperform a standard P4 3.4 GHz type processor. The Core 2 Duos have larger caches especially in the E6600 and above. This processor also has a faster FSB (Front Side Bus) speed which causes faster data transfer between the CPU and the motherboard chipsets. Also, the Core 2 Duos use much power which means less cooling issues.

You will need to upgrade motherboards and memory for these newer processors but that also means you will be using the newer DDR2 memory which also has better bandwidth which equals more speed. Also, the SATA hard drive controllers are faster. So in general you pickup speed in many areas.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Graham,
    You can't compare the processor speed of the Core 2 Duo with the older P4 processors. Even with 1 core, a Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz would outperform a standard P4 3.4 GHz type processor.
    Jim
    Thanks Jim, I was hoping that would be the case. So, I guess the time has come to upgrade!

Regards, Graham

Jim[/QUOTE]

Another quick question about CPUs, does anyone here have a Prescott P4 CPU? if so, is the heatsink that comes with it sufficient? or have you had to change it for a more efficient or stronger heatsink than the one that came with it?

Another quick question about CPUs, does anyone here have a Prescott P4 CPU? if so, is the heatsink that comes with it sufficient? or have you had to change it for a more efficient or stronger heatsink than the one that came with it?
    I have a Prescott 3.2 GHz. The heatsink is sufficient, but is said to sound like a jet engine - I never used mine, so don't know if it is true. Instead I installed a ZALMAN CNPS 7700-Cu, which is practically noiseless, very efficient and very heavy. If I move the box, I do it carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    I have a Prescott 3.2 GHz. The heatsink is sufficient, but is said to sound like a jet engine - I never used mine, so don't know if it is true. Instead I installed a ZALMAN CNPS 7700-Cu, which is practically noiseless, very efficient and very heavy. If I move the box, I do it carefully.
    ROFLMAO thank-you Nickie, I had that heatsink in my hand at the store the other day... nearly dropped it it was so damned heavy!

I also have a Prescott 3.2 Ghz, and man it is LOUD, and gets pretty hot.
    I have considered looking at quieter heatsinks, but will probably wait for Vista to be fully functioning at which point it looks like virtually a new computer, new motherboard to take the 1 Billion mbytes of Ram, dual-core processor etc, etc,.

regards Joe

I use the same Zalman fan as Nickie and I recommend it highly. My PC is very quiet.

Jim

Go Back to forum