• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: Any Accordians that Run on Mac Intel?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Any Accordians that Run on Mac Intel?

    I'm doing a quick little short film that has a lot Italian sequences in it....is there anything out there I can run on my Mac Intel in Pro Tools, or standalone on my other Intel that will do that kind of thing? Thanks for any pointers..

    Tom
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

  2. #2

    Re: Any Accordians that Run on Mac Intel?

    There might be newer stuff, but the "Post Accordians" CDRom for Akai translates easily into the EXS24 (and I'm sure Kontakt, which is now Intel compatible.)

    It's a great set and I highly recommend using the patches where he intentionally didn't fix the tunings. It makes all the difference for that authentic sound.

    - Mike Greene

  3. #3

    Re: Any Accordians that Run on Mac Intel?

    Don't forget to check Bela D Anthology Accordion:
    http://www.beladmedia.com/acw-demos.htm

    This accordion has right hand and left hand recorded. Also you can emulate the bellows expression via modwheel or other controller you choose to crossfade the 3 velocities in both hands.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

  4. #4

    Re: Any Accordians that Run on Mac Intel?

    Quote Originally Posted by TARI
    Don't forget to check Bela D Anthology Accordion:
    http://www.beladmedia.com/acw-demos.htm

    This accordion has right hand and left hand recorded. Also you can emulate the bellows expression via modwheel or other controller you choose to crossfade the 3 velocities in both hands.
    It´s a pity that you didn´t sample a bandoneon as this instrument is still missing in the sampling world. As far as I know the Bandoneon has also a celtic origin with making a long journey via germany to Argentina

    Maybe next time.......?

    PS: But maybe I should check your concertina and listen to the demos (it´s the one instrument that comes rather close to a bandoneon

  5. #5

    Question Re: Any Accordians that Run on Mac Intel?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman
    I'm doing a quick little short film that has a lot Italian sequences in it....is there anything out there I can run on my Mac Intel in Pro Tools, or standalone on my other Intel that will do that kind of thing? Thanks for any pointers..

    Tom
    The Italian Fisarmonica (close to the accordion, usually a big one, with keys for the melody, and bass + chord buttons for harmony) may give a kind of "old Italy country" athmosphere, but just if used in the right way: it's very far from the french bandoneon or latin accordion. Not only the music style , but the sound and articulation is totally different, be careful please...

  6. #6

    Re: Any Accordians that Run on Mac Intel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    The Italian Fisarmonica (close to the accordion, usually a big one, with keys for the melody, and bass + chord buttons for harmony) may give a kind of "old Italy country" athmosphere, but just if used in the right way: it's very far from the french bandoneon or latin accordion. Not only the music style , but the sound and articulation is totally different, be careful please...
    And where would one find a Mac Intel sample of this?

    Tom
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

  7. #7

    Wink Re: Any Accordians that Run on Mac Intel?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman
    And where would one find a Mac Intel sample of this?

    Tom
    LOL! I was just kidding on the equation Italian=Accordians...

    To be honest I don't know: the most "Italian" accordion I heard was in hardware (Korg and Roland GM modules and keyboards/arrangers), but some old Akai libraries were not so far (e.g. soundscan vol.23), maybe working in Mac Intel software sampler. But stand alone mac intel compatible...hmmm....quite hard to find...

  8. #8

    Re: Any Accordians that Run on Mac Intel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    The Italian Fisarmonica (close to the accordion, usually a big one, with keys for the melody, and bass + chord buttons for harmony)
    Left hand with bass and chords is IMO absolutely necessary to achieve a realistic accordion sound. That and the bellows expression are the two most important goals.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

  9. #9

    Re: Any Accordians that Run on Mac Intel?

    Tom:

    I played accordion in a trio that specialized in Italian music for 20 years.
    Both the drummer & the sax/clarinet player were native born Italians.

    I agree with TARI but would go one step further: ALL the expression in playing an accordion is in the BELLOWS. Obviously, proper coodination is required among all three. Right hand, left hand & BELLOWS.

    I have 2 accordions (both antique now). I have tried to emulate them using my Roland G-800 arranger keyboard. Good sounding right hand but no reed bass is available.

    I have Colossus which has an accordion with the bass side sampled but the trick here is to try to emulate the BELLOWS.

    I heard the Bela D Anthology Accordion but don't own it so I can't make an objective recommendation. However, it appears to be going in the right direction, ie, control of the BELLOWS.

    Hope this helps.

  10. #10

    Re: Any Accordians that Run on Mac Intel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael G. Fabish
    Tom:

    I played accordion in a trio that specialized in Italian music for 20 years.
    Both the drummer & the sax/clarinet player were native born Italians.

    I agree with TARI but would go one step further: ALL the expression in playing an accordion is in the BELLOWS. Obviously, proper coodination is required among all three. Right hand, left hand & BELLOWS.

    I have 2 accordions (both antique now). I have tried to emulate them using my Roland G-800 arranger keyboard. Good sounding right hand but no reed bass is available.

    I have Colossus which has an accordion with the bass side sampled but the trick here is to try to emulate the BELLOWS.

    I heard the Bela D Anthology Accordion but don't own it so I can't make an objective recommendation. However, it appears to be going in the right direction, ie, control of the BELLOWS.

    Hope this helps.
    Thanks Michael!
    Bellows is the key for achieving a real result. I think that listening to the solo demo you can see that we did it. Another important key is the round robin. Anthology accordion has 3 rr in every articulation. Right hand and left hand. Bass buttons have its own rr, and chords a different one, so when you alternate both you always listen a different one. Also the button and key noise option give it a great realism.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •