• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wintery sounds without christmas feeling.

Share/Bookmark

Wintery sounds without christmas feeling.

I'm doing a sound design / composing gig which should have a wintery feeling but it shouldn't be associated with christmas. What kind of sounds do you associate with winter? Which instruments and what sound effects? Have your eyes closed in a well lit space and imagine. The mood should be positive and not too dreamy nor too active. No jingle bells and ho-ho-hos or just footsteps on snow. The icy feeling is pretty easy to accomplish but I'm looking for something more subtle.

Re: Wintery sounds without christmas feeling.

I sometimes associate violins harmonics with winter. Celesta of course, marimba...

High violin tremolos, glass harmonica, bells, electric violin

Cymbals, brushed, maybe bowed. Bleak, "open" harmonies. Bassoon, Cor Anglais (the "crows" of the orchestra). Violas. Flute, no vibrato. Also Harp & Piano. Think black and white, & pale colours.

HTH

Nigel

Great! Thanks for the suggestions. It's nice to see which associations I share with someone and which are subjective. Before your ideas I already had flute with major scale and diminished 7th, celesta, harp and synths which have a string harmonic character. I'm a violinist so I shall have a go with my electric violin. I'll try the bowed percussions and violin section harmonics. It seems obvious that I'm mentally too attached to violin to have any clear perspective of its associations.

not quite a specific instrument sound, but I've found the key of F#min a very chilling dark winter type sound, sub zero nearly haunting like.

I've finally found some good use for my VSL Glass and Stones. I never figured it was such a wintery library.

Perhaps a Wind Machine

These are mostly sound effects, but . . .

The sound effects of someone sloshing through the snow might help, the synth sound at the beginning of Rush's 2112 has that type of attribute, twinkling celeste, sounds of ice bergs breaking up, dogs pulling a sled.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Go Back to forum