• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question for anyone who uses Altiverb 5

Share/Bookmark

Question for anyone who uses Altiverb 5

I currently use SIR convoluted reverb and am quite pleased with it with the exception of one annoying aspect. If you've ever used SIR reverb, you probably know there is a bit of a delay (latency), especially noticable if you are playing a midi instrument in realtime with SIR as a send effect, etc. This delay (latency) problem becomes even worse if you try to get creative and set up your midi or audio channel to pass through more than one instance of SIR. (What I mean is you hit a key on your keyboard, but do not hear the note sound until a bit after the fact.) Can any users of Altiverb tell me if Altiverb has a similar delay/latency problem or are you able to play in realtime with even more than one instance of Altiverb attached and be able to hear your sounds immediately as you play them without this annoying delay/latency problem or is there still somewhat of a delay? Any information owners of Altiverb 5 could offer on this would be greatly appreciated.
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Re: Question for anyone who uses Altiverb 5

I've never noticed any delay with Altiverb 5.

I can only use one instance of Altiverb5 at a time with my laptop setup, but I have never noticed any noticeable delay.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Same for me, no delay. I am using it with DP and a Mac G5 Quad with 4 Gig of RAM and no problems.

Peace

rikp

While Altiverb doesn't usually have any latency issues, it does have a CPU saving feature you can use that basically takes and buffers your music a half second or so. This allows you to have a LOT more AV's playing at the same time - but there is a noticeable half-second delay or so. Not great at using live - but for overal mixing and such - after you have recorded your performances and such - it is NICE. Dan can tell you more about this than I can. (DPDan)

Jerry (dreaming of getting Altiverb someday!) Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Thanks for the info, guys. I appreciate your help.

Frodo
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Go Back to forum