• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Ovurture is still the best VST host for me

Share/Bookmark

Overture is still the best VST host for me

Despite a lack of popularity when compared to Finale and Sibelius, Overture still blows them out of the water. I simply can not believe how frustrating it is to try to write good mock-ups in Sibelius 4. You can not edit midi data, select things with filters and change their playback, alter the effect of an articulation, etc.

Overture must come out on top. Everybody pull for Don to get Mac version out and start fresh with marketing.

My online music demo is done entirely in Overture. With Finale or Sibelius, I could have only done the sheet music for these pieces! With Overture I did both simultaneously, and I could set notes to any of Kontakt 2 parameters based on articulation or velocity. Humanization was also a cinch.

Demo link:
    www.composerarts.com

Now I love Sibelius' video Window, and Overture does have a few bugs. But I have been looking for other software I could use in case Overture no longer updated and there is nothing as versatile. Even Cubase doesn't actually have good enough notation interactivity to matter to me.
    http://hopkins.composerarts.com

Re: Ovurture is still the best VST host for me

I'm glad that you are enjoying Overture, but I'm afraid that as a notation program it is laughable and not in the same league as Finale or Sibelius.

D

Re: Overture is still the best VST host for me

I can get the same exact engraving results in Overture as I can with Sibelius or Finale. Besides, what is the point of a perfect notation program that doesn't have a full blown sequencer underneath? Just because overture doesn't have linked parts doesn't mean it is so much worse for engraving. What do you mean it is worse for engraving?

Just a suggestion, next time you want to promote a product, it wouldn't hurt to spell the product's name correctly in the thread's title.

I listened to one of your demos and it sounded very nice. It'd be interesting to post a PDF of one of your scores to see your engraving.

I've never used Overture, but the problem that I see with it, is that it has a very small dedicated user group, but I don't see it being used at all professionally. I'm sure you'll be able to point out some instances where it's being used, but in all my years of working with recording artists, films, symphonies, etc..., no one has ever said they use Overture. It's either Finale or Sibelius.

JT

If it's not going to be updated for Vista or Intel (Mac), then it's reached it's effective end-of-life anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hopkins
    I can get the same exact engraving results in Overture as I can with Sibelius or Finale. Besides, what is the point of a perfect notation program that doesn't have a full blown sequencer underneath? Just because overture doesn't have linked parts doesn't mean it is so much worse for engraving. What do you mean it is worse for engraving?
    Hmmmmmmm. Well I'm afraid that this probably says more about your lack of engraving knowledge than anything else. I have never seen a score "engraved" in Overture that wasn't laughable, due to the appalling standard of engraving.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    Hmmmmmmm. Well I'm afraid that this probably says more about your lack of engraving knowledge than anything else. I have never seen a score "engraved" in Overture that wasn't laughable, due to the appalling standard of engraving.

D
    Well, here is my engraving in Overture. I was also a professional engraver for Hal Leonard and Boosey and Hawkes, so whatever you want to think about my engraving knowledge or "laughable" engraving, you're welcome to.

SCORE EXAMPLE:
    http://www.composerarts.com/Afterlore.pdf

Any errors in this are my own fault and not Overture's and I know there are a few, but so would there be in Finale or Sibelius. This was for a real recording, and time was of essence, not perfectionism in publishing standards. But as you can see, it got the job done, and any errors could easily have been corrected.

Resultant performance:
    http://www.composerarts.com/Afterlorelong.mp3

Seriously, why not give this guy a break?
    No reason to use words such as laughable, and to so rather arrogantly point out he made a typo in the header. Honestly, who gives a damn that he made a typo in the header!

Just because his opinion on this subject differs from yours doesn't mean he shouldn't be treated properly, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Just a suggestion, next time you want to promote a product, it wouldn't hurt to spell the product's name correctly in the thread's title.

I listened to one of your demos and it sounded very nice. It'd be interesting to post a PDF of one of your scores to see your engraving.

I've never used Overture, but the problem that I see with it, is that it has a very small dedicated user group, but I don't see it being used at all professionally. I'm sure you'll be able to point out some instances where it's being used, but in all my years of working with recording artists, films, symphonies, etc..., no one has ever said they use Overture. It's either Finale or Sibelius.

JT
    Yes, for ENGRAVING, but Overture merges sequencing and engraving in one so that a composer can use the score as a midi editing tool. Any articulation can trigger any midi data. And it is a full VST host.

I do wish that Don Williams would push the promotion on this thing so that I did not have to. What I dread is the day that Overture ceases and I must then go back to seperate sequencing and engraving. I don't have time for that and my music would suffer if I did not have ability to write in score form while producing the final recording.

Quote Originally Posted by hbjdk
    Honestly, who gives a damn that he made a typo in the header!
    For example anybody who might want to use the search function in the future to find informations on "Overture". You really want everyone to search not only for the term he wants but also for all possible typo variations? Not proofreading at least your title is antisocial, my friend.

I also am glad you like Overture. Having tried the demo a few years ago, I quickly moved back to Sibelius 2, however I aplaud the makers of this program to recognize the empty spot between sequencers and engraving programs. And they immediately filled it. Now If they would improve the program on both fronts, it would be great for everyone!
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Go Back to forum