• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Stupidity. Sheer Stupidity.

Share/Bookmark

Stupidity. Sheer Stupidity.

http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/...amplifiers.php

Sure - put your mp3's through a tube amp and "make them sound better".

ROFL

Re: Stupidity. Sheer Stupidity.

I think this is actually far from stupid.

A little tube coloration combines IMO very well with MP3s!

In our bedroom, I've been playing MP3s from a computer with RME audio card over the turntable input of an old tube radio.

Sounds FAR better then any ghetto-blaster due to a pleasant combination of subtle valve distortion, high end roll-off, frequency dependent & reduced damping of speakers in a deliberately resonant wooden enclosure.

Once you've heard for example MP3s, sampled guitars or whatever library played from a beautiful, large wooden Grundig from the 50ties with multiple speakers and balanced output stage you realize that progress is relative. And the smell ain't bad either
    Supermicro H8DCE, 2*285 Opterons, 16GB Ram, 3TB WD & Seagate drives, MSI 7600GS & XFX 6600GT, Emu 1820m, Thermaltake 750W PSU, watercooling by Zalman & Innovatek, Windows XP64 SP2, Cubase 4.1

Yeah and those speakers put out a whopping 2W per channel. Talk about performance for $690...
    (edit: it's probably a misprint though)

LoFi (mp3) meets HiFi...

Very funny indeed !

I don't think that big, black, chunky design meets the Apple standards of aesthetics. How bout them big knobs? What are those, volume knobs? WTF? Man, that thing is fugly.

How bout you just buy a CD player that plays MP3s, burn your MP3s to disk, and play them on your 50,000 watt home stereo? Why all these other expensive contraptions and complications? Do people really have that much dough to burn?

Tube Amplifiers can sounds absolutely wonderful and completely transparent (other than some nice warmth added). There are some very high end amps that audiophiles use, so I'd say this isn't stupid, but neither is it needed to play MP3s.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Note the target market. Although we often make fun of U.S. audiophiles, tube electronics in Japan are a real phenomenon. Remember the tubed motherboards AOpen shipped a couple years ago? http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/.../index_2.shtml

It looks indeed like a wonderfully made piece of art.

As I said in an earlier post, an alternative would be to use an old tube radio...

Regarding being "needed" or not: that's totally irrelevant. I don't "need" a fine cup of Indian Darjeeling tea in the morning either. Nor a car when a bicycle also brings me from A to B. Nor a home when a caravan also provides shelter...

Carpe Diem!
    Supermicro H8DCE, 2*285 Opterons, 16GB Ram, 3TB WD & Seagate drives, MSI 7600GS & XFX 6600GT, Emu 1820m, Thermaltake 750W PSU, watercooling by Zalman & Innovatek, Windows XP64 SP2, Cubase 4.1

i work in hifi,we have another companies version at our store (tube amp w/ bookself speakers,it sounds suprisingly good,we recommend for a bedroom or office,unit is rated at 12-15 watts (equivalent to about 25 watts solid state)......a little tube warmth does help mp3's .......link: http://www.tube-pod.com/detail/?nPID=318
    *not trying to make a sale !
    2.7 G5(PPC) 6.5 gig ram,10.48. DP5.12 ,
    FF800, NI,EW,IK VI's ,synths.. etc... Vdrums, Akai Z8 ,XP30 , Focal Twin 6 monitors
    UAD1w/Magma,TC PoCo/pci,
    Shunyata Powercords/Conditioners,Richard Gray....numerous harddrives Firmtek box(esata),& 2nd fw buss

Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    Yeah and those speakers put out a whopping 2W per channel. Talk about performance for $690...
    (edit: it's probably a misprint though)
    You don't know much about (tube) amplification, do you?

The tube part isn't the bad idea. Using fixed speakers is. It should be a combined tube amp / iPod dock thingy without speakers included.

Go Back to forum