• Register
  • Help

Topic: Drum Set balance

Share/Bookmark

Drum Set balance

Is it possible to balance the drum set patches in JABB? The bass drum needs to come down and the ride cymbal needs to come up for my tastes - is this possible?

Re: Drum Set balance

Quote Originally Posted by saxlix
    Is it possible to balance the drum set patches in JABB? The bass drum needs to come down and the ride cymbal needs to come up for my tastes - is this possible?

How are you loading the Drum patches? Just the one large patch with everything in it? Or each piece seperatly?

Ed
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Saxlix,

Ed's is the key question. By loading each of the separate drum elements and setting them to the same MIDI channel you gain many things including the ability to adjust balances, and separately apply effects to each instrument, as needed. By setting them to the same MIDI channel they can all be addressed from the same MIDI track or same notation stave. That's why there are separate instruments: To give the user that flexibility.

Tom

Tom,

Apologies for perhaps a dumb question - but I was mistakenly under the impression that the midi channels of the Kontakt player slots were hardwired.

Where does one change the midi channel for each slot to enable a selection of drum patches to share the same midi channel?

EDIT - I can now see where the midi channel is set but can you explain why when the default setting is "omni", slot one responds to midi channel 1, and slot 2 channel 2 etc., ? I would have thought that they would all respond to any channel?
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

I was loading the complete set - I was not aware you could load individual drum instruments. Thanks!

After trying this, it works well - however, I still cannot effectively balance the instruments. When I bring the BD down, everything else comes down with it. I have each patch set to MIDI channel 10 - should I be doing something else?Remember, I am using HP in Finale 2007 for playback.

Is there any good place to find detailed documentation for JABB other than the various tutorials on the web? I will wait for the Finale 2007 JABB tutorial to be released, but there surely is a better way to learn about this other than tutorials and a forum.

I was loading the complete set - I was not aware you could load individual drum instruments. Thanks!

After trying this, it works well - however, I still cannot effectively balance the instruments. When I bring the BD down, everything else comes down with it. I have each patch set to MIDI channel 10 - should I be doing something else?Remember, I am using HP in Finale 2007 for playback.
    In Finale you'll probably need to separate each instrument of the drum set onto separate staves, then use Finale's mixer to get the balance you want. I know this option doesn't make a lot of sense for notation programs, but this is why it makes sense to have a separate file for playback sometimes.

...but there surely is a better way to learn about this other than tutorials and a forum.
    No, tutorials are the best way, read the product documentation and come to the forum to ask questions when you're stumped.

JT

[quote=saxlix]
    After trying this, it works well - however, I still cannot effectively balance the instruments. When I bring the BD down, everything else comes down with it. I have each patch set to MIDI channel 10 - should I be doing something else?Remember, I am using HP in Finale 2007 for playback.[quote]

The problem you're having is a midi issue, not a software issue, although it will be resolved by resetting your software. Since you have all the drum parts assigned to midi channel 10, any midi volume command sent to on that channel will affect everything on the channel. This is why all your drum levels change together instead of separately. The solution is to load each instrument individually and then assign each instrument to a separate individual channel. For example, load your kcik into Part 1, channel 1. Load your snare into Part 2, channel 2, etc. This will likely require an entire instance of JABB's Kontakt Player to handle all the parts. You'll then need to load up additional KP's with your other instruments.

Alternatively, you could just load the one drumkit and do your mixing by editing the individual velocity levels of each of the parts which would be split onto separate staves while maintaining a common midi channel. I'm not a Finale user so I don't know how possible that is within the program.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Go Back to forum