• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Bundled With Finale Vs Stand A Lone GPO Patched Into Finale

Share/Bookmark

GPO Bundled With Finale Vs Stand A Lone GPO Patched Into Finale

I am deciding whether to get the Finale with the "Light" GPO that comes bundled with Finale - or the full version standalone GPO and patching it into Finale. I bet there are some out there who have both. If so, can you talk a little about what kinds of differences, advantages, disadvantages you have found, one versus the other.

Also I'm wondering what features are in the full version GPO that are not included with the "Light Version". I've not been able to find info about this on the GPO website nor the Finale website. One poster here in a different thread said some instruments are omitted from the light version. Which ones??? Also, are any playback techniques omitted? And are all of the plug-ins still usable with the GPO built into Finale, i.e. Ambience??

Jeanne W

Re: GPO Bundled With Finale Vs Stand A Lone GPO Patched Into Finale

Jeanne,

Here's the list of instruments included with Finale:
    http://www.finalemusic.com/finale/fe...an_sounds.aspx

You can find the list for full GPO here:
    http://www.garritan.com/GPO.html

I'd suggest getting Finale and start having fun making music. If you find that you need the instruments that are only included with full GPO, then it's time to upgrade. There are no features missing with the Finale version, just fewer instruments. And yes, Ambience works in Finale too.

Besides more instruments, the other advantage with full GPO, is that you can use the samples in other programs. Finale GPO only works in Finale.

JT

a brief example of how the full and Finale editions are different:

in the full version there are entire sections of 1st violins and 2nd violins, with various alternate samples usable for different articulations.

while in the Finale edition, there is really only one "violin section" with a few of the alternate articulations.

So a score requiring a unison of 1st and 2nd violins is do-able with Finale edition GPO, but the sound will be better with the full GPO since it contains two distinct 1st adn 2nd violin samples.

The full version of GPO has almost three times the MB of samples compared to the Finale version. Not only do you get a few additional instruments in the full version, you also get more detailed multi-samples within each instrument, which leads to greater realism.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Go Back to forum