• Register
  • Help

Topic: Muse Receptor

Share/Bookmark

Muse Receptor

Hello folks,

Is anyone out there using a Muse Receptor for GPO Sibelius Edition playback? If so, what have your experiences been, ie. is it better than running the sounds from your primary computer, etc... I've been thinking about purchasing one since the piece I'm working on right now stutters horribly due to the thickness of the texture. Thanks!
    James G. Eakin III, DMA
    Composer-In-Residence,
    Turtle Creek Chorale
    Assistant Director-Film Scoring program,
    Aspen Music Festival & School
    www.jameseakin.com

Re: Muse Receptor

I think I've seen you post about this on the Sibelius Chat Page. Was a little worried about replying to that because I don't know much about GPO for Sibelius. Anyways, I think the key here is that it is made to be used by Sibelius on the primary computer. The Receptor would require the full copy of GPO. However, even though I'm a Sibelius user, I'm not a user of GPO Sibelius Edition so I don't have that much of an idea there.

Also, for those who want reference, here is the link to the topic on the SIbelius Chat Page: http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/help...103&groupid=3&
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Thanks for your response. I own the full version of GPO and purchased a plug-in from Sibelius to take advantage of GPO for playback, in essence making it the "GPO Sibelius Edition." It would be fantastic if I could get better playback from the Receptor while using Sibelius. From what I've read, it should significantly reduce the CPU load and, I'm assuming, load the samples into the ram on the Receptor. If no one has any experience with this, then I might have to be brave and give the receptor a try... Someone has to be the first! If I decide to purchase the Receptor, then I'll write a follow-up post with my results. Wish me luck, and if anyone has tried the Receptor, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!
    James G. Eakin III, DMA
    Composer-In-Residence,
    Turtle Creek Chorale
    Assistant Director-Film Scoring program,
    Aspen Music Festival & School
    www.jameseakin.com

Unfortunately, if the Receptor works the way I think it does, you will only get 16 separate MIDI channels. GPO Sibelius Edition allows for 32 if I remember right. GPO Studio allows for 64.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

I think that you can ask in the receptor forum. It appears that it use midi trough an ethernet solution, so the 16 channels appear to not be an issue, i believe you need to look for "uniwire plugin" in their site.
    Marcelo Colina

I use the Receptor with GPO sometimes, but only as a dedicated external device, as Uniwire is not yet Digital Performer-friendly. But I believe you will get a bit better performance on the Receptor as the OS is a lean dedicated Linux-based system that has very low overhead and latency.

In my live rig, I'm running quite a few different VSTis, some quite processor-heavy like Colossus and Stylus RMX. In my normal setup, I use Colossus for the piano (twice, one up an octave) plus acoustic bass and a fingered electric bass. Then NI B4ii, Mr. Ray 2.2 electric piano three times, Trilogy Jaco electric bass, FM7, MinimogueVA and Plugsound Free. I also use the sfz soundfont player with several patches, plus an 18-band eq on each channel, one global reverb and a limiter. Granted, I'm only playing 2 or three of these at any one time, but they take up a lot of RAM and CPU, and I cannot get this same setup on my PC with V-Stack to play reliably. I can do it on my Mac more or less, but it has 4G RAM.

I'm not aware of a way for the Receptor to do 32 channels, although in theory each mixer channel can be assigned to any midi channel, there is only one set.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum