• Register
  • Help

Topic: Do anyone have the Dover Miniature Scores?

Share/Bookmark

Do anyone have the Dover Miniature Scores?

Hi.

I'm thinking about buying some of the Miniature Scores from Dover Publications for score studying. Do anyone have some experience with those scores? Are they for full orchestra? Are they easy to read (not to small printing)? Am I better of buying the bigger (in size) versions?

I'm considering buying the scores for Scheherazade (Rimsky-Korsakov) and The Planets (Holst) and probably some more. Are they full scores or only parts (not complete)?

Sorry for all the questions, but can anyone help me with some answers?

-Ranietz-

Re: Do anyone have the Dover Miniature Scores?

A miniature score means that the score is a graphic reproduction so it can fit into your pocket. It's the complete orchestral score, just miniaturized by the camera. They used to be called "pocket scores". The Dover scores average $6US and you can see them at www.doverpublications.com.

The best place for ordering is usually Amazon.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Thanks for the reply.

Is the printing in those miniature scores so small that it's hard to read or is that not a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranietz
    Thanks for the reply.

Is the printing in those miniature scores so small that it's hard to read or is that not a problem?
    Ranietz,
    The printing is quite readable. I wouldn't mount one on a clip next to my monitor, but they're find at regular reading distance.

Belbin

Thanks belbin.

I guess I'll order some from Amazon then...

The regular full scores from Dover(many larger than 9"x12") range from $10-$20 and are way much easier on the eyes, well worth paying a few dollars extra

I have a book shelf full of them. Usually, I give out a list of scores I'm interested in to my mother for those seeking to buy me cheap gifts.

Well, I just ordered a couple of Minature Scores from Amazon. If I find them to small I'll order some bigger ones next time. Can't get to many scores, right?

-Ranietz-

Go Back to forum