• Register
  • Help

Topic: New System Specs

Share/Bookmark

New System Specs

here's what I propose for a new single PC system. Anyone spot any glaring mistakes or does this get the thumbs up?

Asus P5b Deluxe wifi ap Lga775 Core 2 Duo P965
    Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4ghz
    Antec Titan 550 case TruePower 550W PSU
    Corsair (Twin2X2048-6400C4)
    Asus 7600 Silent 512MB DDR2 PCI-E (graphics card)

I already have storage, souncard and optical devices sorted.

Thanks for any advice

My main toys are VSL Pro Ed, GVI, Sonar 5(6), Sibelius
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

Re: New System Specs

Funny, it looks almost exactly like the system I'm dreaming of.
    Same motherboard, CPU and graphics card at least.
    For RAM, I might go for Crucial + I can't remember if Asus P5B accepts PC6400 ram, or if PC5300 is max. You probably checked though, so I guess it's PC6400.
    Powersupply I'm not sure about.

Good luck with it, I'm not jealous, oh no, not at all!!! *grin*

Quote Originally Posted by hbjdk
    Funny, it looks almost exactly like the system I'm dreaming of.
    Same motherboard, CPU and graphics card at least.
    For RAM, I might go for Crucial + I can't remember if Asus P5B accepts PC6400 ram, or if PC5300 is max. You probably checked though, so I guess it's PC6400.
    Powersupply I'm not sure about.

Good luck with it, I'm not jealous, oh no, not at all!!! *grin*
    Thanks hbjdk (How do you pronounce that?)

No I need to check out your doubt about the RAM.

What's the prob with the power supply?
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

David,

hbjdk is not supposed to be pronounced (I think your tongue would hurt very much if you tried!) - - - it's H for my first name, which is Henrik, BJ for my other names, and DK for Denmark

About the power supply, what I meant was, I am not sure about which power supply I would pick for my system, not that I had any doubts about the decision of yours. I don't know so much about power supplies but I think that newer ones can handle PCI-Express while older ones can't.

Best regards,
    Henrik

Btw. it says in the manual that the board accepts 800 / 667 / 533 Mhz DDR2 RAM.

I think PC5300 = 667 Mhz, but you'd better check to make sure PC6400 = 800 Mhz.

Someone in here probably knows?

Yes, PC6400=800 MHz and it will surely work on that mobo (just check the specs ).

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    If you're building a machine at this point, I'd imagine you'd want to make sure that things like the MOBO, the video card and any optical drive you buy will function with Vista. We're headed into a time of upheaval, and constructing a system is not going to be as easy as it used to be.
    Or, you can take the cheapskate approach<G>... I'm going to build a system after the holidays, and it will be two processors (probably dual core, but if I have to cut corners somewhere that will be it), and it will be 64 bit ready, but I have no intention of upgrading to Vista anytime soon!

First, very few (maybe two at the moment) of my tools will run 64 bit native... and while I'd love to have access to more memory, it won't buy me anything at the moment.

Second, my current audio and midi interface is not yet supported, and while it is limited to 48 KHz and 24 bits, that is more than good enough for me, and given that there are no interfaces with a comparable feature set at any price, well, I'll stick with it.

It is my expectation that by the time I am ready to upgrade both machines to Vista a whole new generation of hardware will be on the market, and I'll get the first gen stuff at a discount.
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Go Back to forum