• Register
  • Help

Topic: Solo Cello 1, players 2 & 3 sound identical

Share/Bookmark

Solo Cello 1, players 2 & 3 sound identical

Here's a lil' situation that's driving me nuts...

I just made (and saved) a GPO multitimbral instrument containing all of the available Solo Cello 1 choices (KS, solo, players 1, 2, 3, pizz). As I was testing it out I couldn't help but notice that players 2 and 3 sounded absolutely identical.

For comparison I then made a similar preset for all of the available Solo Cello 2 patches. In this case, each of the individual players indeed sounded different from one another.

I then re-loaded my Solo Cello 1 preset and got the same result as before: players 2 and 3 sounded identical.

Is there supposed to be a difference between these two players? Anyone else run into this?

Comments/feedback on this situation would be much appeciated!

Re: Solo Cello 1, players 2 & 3 sound identical

Bump -- Anyone?

Solo Cello 1 players 1, 2 & 3 are all made up of samples from Solo Cello 1. The solo players in chromatically sampled and then the samples are split up in minor 3rds to create the 3 different players. So you are actually only hearing one instrument with the 3 player samples. This may be why they sound the same.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for your reply, but I think you missed my point.

Solo Cello 1, players 2 and 3 sound identical.

Not only do they sound identical, but based on a test I just did, I can show that they ARE identical.

TEST: I loaded players 2 and 3 into a multi GPO and set both slots to the same MIDI channel. I panned them hard left and right. Then on my mixing board I put one channel out of phase. The result? Perfect cancellation. Silence. Pop the phase back to normal and you hear a unison sound (no beating of any kind between the instruments due to differences in performance, pitch, or vibrato). This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that players 2 and 3 for Solo Cello #1 are identical.

Tom? Gary? John? What to do?

Solo and derived players use the same sample pool. That's why the rule is: Never use a Solo instrument and any of its derived players together unless you can guarantee that no unisons will be encountered. Ensemble building should only use the derived players 1, 2, and 3 since they have no samples in common with one another. Players 1, 2, and 3 *all* have samples in common with the parent solo instrument.

Now, to the specific issue with Cello1 players 2 and 3: When I checked the latest version of the files I found no mapping errors (in other words, there were no sample in common between players 2 and 3.) But, when I went back to the released version I found a mapping error that duplicated samples. This just means that the problem was reported and fixed at some point. The fix will be included in the K2 update, of course.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Solo and derived players use the same sample pool. That's why the rule is: Never use a Solo instrument and any of its derived players together unless you can guarantee that no unisons will be encountered. Ensemble building should only use the derived players 1, 2, and 3 since they have no samples in common with one another. Players 1, 2, and 3 *all* have samples in common with the parent solo instrument.
    Thanks for your reply Tom. Yes, I'm familiar with this rule. It's when I wanted to build an ensemble with solo players 1, 2 & 3 (parent instrument not included) that I discovered this.

...when I went back to the released version I found a mapping error that duplicated samples. This just means that the problem was reported and fixed at some point. The fix will be included in the K2 update, of course.
    Well, thanks for confirming this. It's a great relief to get this kind of confirmation about bugs.

Many Thanks,

--orkguy--

Go Back to forum