• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Electronic/orchestral soundtrack - only for futuristic movies?

Share/Bookmark

Question OT: Electronic/orchestral soundtrack - only for futuristic movies?

Would you ever consider scoring/writing a blend of orchestral and electronic music for anything else than futuristic "hitech" movies?

/Johnny
    Last edited by drjohnny79; 11-23-2006 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Forgot to type "OT".

Re: OT: Electronic/orchestral soundtrack - only for futuristic movies?

Jerry Goldsmith has done this quite a few times with great success...

A few of his best non-futuristic electronic/orchestral scores are "Legend" and "Lionheart" (the historal epic, not the boxing movie).

Another effective electronic/orchesral score is the score to "1492" by V~~~~~~~.

Mike

Also on 'Chariots of Fire'. If I remember correctly, V a n g e l i s won an Academy award, or it might have been a nomination.

Rob

Will check em out! Thanks for the tips, dalek3 and robh.

What kind of electronic elements would you accept in a non futuristic score? Beats? Resonant synth sweeps? I guess it depends on many things, including the type of movie and story. I mean generally speaking.

/Johnny

v~~~~~~~ !!!! Why on earth would someone cesnore this name? This ellues me

As far as futuristic films are concerned. Anything with action can have a little futuristic ellements in the music

Quote Originally Posted by drjohnny79
    What kind of electronic elements would you accept in a non futuristic score? Beats? Resonant synth sweeps? I guess it depends on many things, including the type of movie and story. I mean generally speaking.
    I think in general you can use pretty much anything. The commonality in all four scores mentioned is that they are a mixture of orchestral and synthesized elements. There are next to no "synthesizer-only" tracks in any of those scores, as the synthesizer element helps to take you to a different place, but the orchestra grounds you in reality. Pretty much all of the electronic elements you mention were used, though for electronic beats there are better examples in V a n g e l i s than in Goldsmith. Goldsmith uses some interesting synth sweeps in the opening track of Legend.

I think you have some very good points there, nikolas and dalek3. Sometimes I think the electronic touch gives the orchestra a new dimension and "spice". In a personal project of mine, I`m thinking about how to express "superhuman" moods and divinity through orchestral/electronical music. Yet, I dont want it to sound techno, mechanical or electronic. It´s all about balance I guess.

/Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    v~~~~~~~ !!!! Why on earth would someone cesnore this name? This ellues me
    I figure the word a n g e l i s (without the V) is censored since it's one of the names of the V.I. Control forum? I have no clue...

Personally I like a hybrid sounding score and am usually pleased when I go see a movie or TV show that use modern synth/club type riffs along with traditional "movie" music. I seem to hear this more and more but could not tell you who or where off the top of my head.

For me the trick seems to be finding an interesting blend of styles/sounds. Trying to go where not many others went, being creative.

The previous poster mentioned hearing this more and more in movies and on TV. I agree and have to say I hate that: Usually those composers abuse their possibilities for gettign away with something slapped together that distracts from the onscreen action by being either totally unfitting and generic or annoyingly primitve and uninspired.

If done right, it can be great! You just have to invest the neccessary amount of work to make it interesting.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Go Back to forum