• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Why Things Are Late

Share/Bookmark

Why Things Are Late

It has been a difficult few months. The bugs in the new Strad Player have finally been resolved and another new Player will be released very shortly.

We are tied to Native instruments and much of what we do hinges on them.

If there is a delay in Player releases, we are delayed. If things need fixing, we are further delayed.

Because of the long delays with the Player, there is now a large backlog of existing and new third-party libraries waiting for the new player (especially for the holidays and NAMM) along with NI's own product schedule. Combine this with a limited staff at NI and further delays occur. I am told it will probably take a month or longer to encode new masters and make it available to users.

This throws our schedule out of whack.

In all fairness to Native Instruments, they are dealing with complicated technology that works on so many platforms and they have done a great job on being on the forefront of music technology. It is very difficult to do the things they are doing and I can see why delays often plague the software industry (e.g. Microsoft Vista). They have done admirably in what they have accomplished and helped many of us to make music.

I feel at a loss when there are circumstances beyond our control. Especially since most calls and email we are receiving are people asking about the new players and new products. This is difficult and we don't like these long delays any more than anyone.

Does anyone have any ideas or solutions?

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Gary Garritan

Re: Why Things Are Late

Constant communication with your customers and customers-to-be will certainly help. The impatience we face now will be forgotten after release.

Obviously, the fact that you are tied to NI does cause a loss of control and conflict over priorities. Many major sample developers have decided to invest into their own player technology.

But here are some ideas to help your existing customers stay loyal (remember that GPO is 3 years old now!):

(1) Do a group buy, if that is still proftable for you (and if you have the time - remember that you swore never to do a group buy again after all the work the last one caused!).. Your customers will love it and you, and they will be distracted from further delays (having a new toy to play with will help).

(2) Release some simple impulse sets (a small selection from one hall from Real Spaces) to use in the free SIR. Then let DPDAN work out one standard SIR settings for everyone to use. Adopters will immediately gain an improved sound from GPO and then get "addicted" to impulses (think impulse buy).

Good luck and impatiently yours,

YBaCuO

Quote Originally Posted by YBaCuO
    Constant communication with your customers and customers-to-be will certainly help. The impatience we face now will be forgotten after release.
    I think this is the key... the industry as a whole has become so addicted to vapor-ware that when there are legitimate reasons for a delay they are often as not ignored!

If you were to provide regular updates I think 90% of the complaints would evaporate! Most of the folks that you proudly call customers are reasonable people!!!

Obviously, the fact that you are tied to NI does cause a loss of control and conflict over priorities. Many major sample developers have decided to invest into their own player technology.
    In the end there is only one answer to this problem, and you already know that! If you want to be independent you will have to develop your own player, and I can't see how that could possibly be practical! Even adopting an open source player would be a very costly adventure!

(1) Do a group buy, if that is still proftable for you (and if you have the time - remember that you swore never to do a group buy again after all the work the last one caused!).. Your customers will love it and you, and they will be distracted from further delays (having a new toy to play with will help).
    I don't know... a group buy is a great way to build enthusiasm, but how much enthusiasm does one company need? I think it might be a great gesture to show that you value your customers, but I don't know how many minds it will change.

Except for one group... there are professionals who are used to spending kilobucks for libraries, and some of them simply discount anything that doesn't cost a lot. A group buy might just push the prices down to the point where they would have nothing to lose by making the purchase... but then if you are used to spending thousands I can't imagine why you wouldn't gamble a couple of hundred. Tough call!

(2) Release some simple impulse sets (a small selection from one hall from Real Spaces) to use in the free SIR. Then let DPDAN work out one standard SIR settings for everyone to use. Adopters will immediately gain an improved sound from GPO and then get "addicted" to impulses
    Now this is an intriguing idea!!! Although I'd release small sets from more than one space to really demonstrate the power of convolution reverb. Yeah, If you are anywhere near releasing the Real Spaces library this would be a great sales pitch!

(think impulse buy).
    That was bad!!!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Ahh. The old single-source supplier problem The solution? Multiple sources.

Hopefully, Tascam's GVI strategy will mature to the point that you can target your libs at them as well. It's certainly more work, but could grow your available market. Best of all, any time one sampler leapfrogs the other, you're right there.

We will have yet more disruption with Vista. Keep your options open. Who knows what company will port the best technology to 64-bits first.

I have been waiting for GPOA since it was anonunced. I don't know how long has it been. The reason I am waiting for it, is that I know it's gonna be the best orchestral library in its range and (call me fool If you want) I think it's going to be better than Sonic Implants, VSL and EWQL. I could buy VSL Opus 1 & 2 or EWQL Gold + XP, but I prefer to save my money for GPOA, GOS2 and the Garritan Solo Strings.

I think people will understand the situation, Gary. You rely on third party software, so it's not your fault. I'll be waiting. The later, the more money we'll save.

In the meantime, you could do a Group Buy for the Strad . I really think it will showcase the Sonic Morphing, and a lot of people will want to buy the rest of solo strings.

Releasing a lite version of the Real Spaces would be soooo nice! We all can have convolution engines, but there aren't any decent IR's of real Concert Halls, except those from Altiverb. But Altiverb is too expensive for a lot of people. Maybe a set of IR's from 6 positions on the stage from one in the audience (centered, of course) will do fine. I'll pay $150 for a set like this, with at least 4 concert halls, and maybe a jazz club, recording studio and church.

But don't worry about being late, man. We are going to wait for your products the time needed, becuase we know it will surpass our spectations.

You are doing very well Gary!!
    -Dani-

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Gary Garritan
    Buy NI

SergeD

Quote Originally Posted by ZareOne
    Releasing a lite version of the Real Spaces would be soooo nice! ..... Maybe a set of IR's from 6 positions on the stage from one in the audience (centered, of course) will do fine. I'll pay $150 for a set like this, with at least 4 concert halls, and maybe a jazz club, recording studio and church.

You are doing very well Gary!!
    I agree with both of these comments.

And thanks Gary for keeping us posted.

Regards, Graham

It is such a difficult position Gary. I can understand how you perosnally feel and how everybody would feel in your position, including all communication center at Garritan offices... :-/

It is certinaly a problem that needs addressing.

As it seems the community here already knows about this, and everyone with a head above his body knows that NI is i. doing a great job and ii. late. There's no secret to that.

I fear that designing yuourown player would mean a huge investment and (seeing things with QControl) huge delays as well. Buying NI would not make a difference either (I know it's a joke).

The only thing is to educate your clients and your potential clients of this ufortunate event(s) without of course blaming NI. After all it happens all the time.

But I have to confess that I'm a little buffled as to what's wrong with the current technology of NI. I mean everybody need the new Intel Macs? Why not use the existing technology for the PCs? Why not build the betas based on current technology. hoping that programming and mapping will not go entirely to waste, and since basically you have the samples but not the programming and the programmers are (probably) just doing little... Why not at least make the beta? Anyway hopefully not the whole work will go to waste (assuming you can port programming and mapping to the new players). In the end, if nothing else, don't you need to test the recordings you did? Even if the players are not ready? You might end up at least with highly interesting demos, along with proofs to stop the mouths of everyone bad minded.

On the other hand as far as I know GPOA and GOS2 are based on new technology to come, in which case, no current technology will do an good.

All of this based on assumptions, I repeat, so in any case eccuse my ignorance please.

Gary Garritan
    Patience is the solution. YOu want something to work right then why release something with buggy situations? Better to be patient and wait for a less problematic thing then to be impatient and aggravated when something does not go your way with a new gadget.
    Robert Davis

Start hiring high school students to do software development for minimum wage or higher?

I think NI needs to get a little more organized in their development and that Garritan Libraries company needs to offer more benefits to their users.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Go Back to forum