• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sure, it is an old question about KP

Share/Bookmark

Sure, it is an old question about KP

I still wonder why, using several KP instances in Sonar (or else), the CPU-load is 39% without doing anything. Only when I "archieve" those tracks the CPU-load is 0%.

With this unused CPU-load already there, when playing tracks with any kind of audio-plug (special some reverbs), the system runs into "DROPOUT's " very soon and nothing can be done about this, then split up your working process into several parts. Now I can have only: violins1(4 tracks), violins2(4 tracks), violas(3 tracks), cellos(3 tracks), basses(3 tracks) and then I have to be very careful not to overload the system with some weird reverb setting for all "bussed" systems.

Any solution to this problem, except buying another computersystem with dual processors (when Garritan/KP can have these)?

Raymond

Re: Sure, it is an old question about KP

Yeah it's a drag.
    I resort to Sonar "Freeze Tracks" and then archive those GPO tracks that have been rendered. It allows me to continue working.
    Bosco Adama

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    I still wonder why, using several KP instances in Sonar (or else), the CPU-load is 39% without doing anything. Only when I "archieve" those tracks the CPU-load is 0%.

Any solution to this problem, except buying another computersystem with dual processors (when Garritan/KP can have these)?

Raymond
    You don't say what your system configuration is, but my first guess is that you have your latency set too low.

Each instance of a synth in the synth rack and each audio track consumes a small amount of resources. If you have effects busses, each audio track routed to an effects bus consumes resources. This can be substantial if the effect is CPU-intensive, such as a convolution reverb like Perfect Space or SIR.

39% at idle is extremely high for a typical processor, say 3Ghz P4, for 13 tracks as you have mentioned. On my Athlon 64 3200+ (roughly equivalent to a 3Ghz P4), a typical small orchestra with 20-25 midi tracks and 5-6 synth audio tracks (corresponding to 5 or 6 GPO instances), idles at about 11% without effects. Latency is 10ms.

If you're trying to build sections from the "plr" voices, as it sounds like you are, you will quickly run up your resource consumption when you hit play.

Try setting your latency higher.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    Try setting your latency higher.
    I did and it works. Thank you.

Raymond

Go Back to forum