• Register
  • Help

Topic: Key Switching - Why Different Octaves?

Share/Bookmark

Key Switching - Why Different Octaves?

I just mapped in the key switching into my Korg Kontrol49 Pad for the full orchestra only to find out that for other instruments the key switching is in different octaves. This defeats the whole purpose of having key switching. Why is GPO this way and will there be an update fixing this?
    Thanks!
    Robert Mann

Re: Key Switching - Why Different Octaves?

Quote Originally Posted by pinhole
    I just mapped in the key switching into my Korg Kontrol49 Pad for the full orchestra only to find out that for other instruments the key switching is in different octaves. This defeats the whole purpose of having key switching. Why is GPO this way and will there be an update fixing this?
    Thanks!
    Robert Mann
    The keyswitch keys must be out of range for the instruments. If you want all keyswitches to be in the same octave you must place it below the lowest sounding instrument. That will probably mean that if you use a 5 octave keyboard to play on the keyswitches will disappear for higher range instruments and you will not have yhe possibility to change the keyswitch during live playing.

Björn

Re: Key Switching - Why Different Octaves?

Robert,

In the standard version of the library, with a few minor exceptions, the keyswitches are placed in the first available octave below the range of a given instrument. This gives easy access in live situations without interfering with the actual notes in the range of the instrument (as correctly pointed out by Bjorn.) No single, consistent keyswitch location is possible that gives convenient access and, at the same time, does not interfere with any of the instruments' actual note range (especially true for users with smaller keyboards.)

However, the Notation version of the library, in contrast, places all keyswitches consistently in the lowest octave of the MIDI spec. This allows notation programs to access all keyswitches with a single routine. This version is not generally intended for live performance because the consistent location would be very inconvenient for all but the largest keyboards. Not to mention, there are other inconvenient (for live performance) differences in the notation version programming that make it less suitable.

The issue is essentially irrelevant for MIDI sequencing where a user can manually place the keyswitch data in tracks as needed. The location of the keyswitches for each instruments are identified in the GPO player by the yellow keys.

So, to answer the second part of your question: There will be no update because there is nothing to fix. Of course, if a user wanted to customize this feature, modifications could be made in the full version of Kontakt.

Tom

Go Back to forum