• Register
  • Help

Topic: EWQL in Canada

Share/Bookmark

EWQL in Canada

Hello all,

I am wanting to buy a number of products from sounds online to take advantgae of the EWQL libraries that are on sale for such a great price. I am wondering about what duty and tax I would have to pay. I asked Sounds Online and they didn't know so are there any Canadian composers out there who have bought the EWQL products? Was there any duty or tax? I don't want to get sticker shock when the shipment comes in!

TIA

Jeff

Re: EWQL in Canada

This might be a good question for the sounds online forum. Unfortunetly, If i post the link, it will get blurted out on this site, but check around, they would be teh best person to answer that question probally
    www.energiestudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by dalamar16
    Hello all,

I am wanting to buy a number of products from sounds online to take advantgae of the EWQL libraries that are on sale for such a great price. I am wondering about what duty and tax I would have to pay. I asked Sounds Online and they didn't know so are there any Canadian composers out there who have bought the EWQL products? Was there any duty or tax? I don't want to get sticker shock when the shipment comes in!

TIA

Jeff
    I always endup paying taxes and duty with them while i probably shouldn't pay any extra...I know other comagny who write 1$ on the bill so that you pay taxes on the cd and not on the licence...

I think you should try to find out if we should pay taxes on licences here in Canada, and if licences are the same as goods???..My guess is that we souldn't pay taxes on intelectual right...

Good luck!

Where are you from ? I'm Canadian (Quebec city), I have some QL products from Sounds Online ... my dealer knows this company (like many other one)

Just thought I'd chime in with my experience, even though I'm not from Canada:
    Back in the day when I bought Gold, I was also concerned about duty and taxes (since they are about 25% here in DK), So I contacted Sounds Online, and I was told that they would put on a sticker that said $10 - So "YEAY" I thought, but they didn't, and I ended up paying the duty and taxes for the $1,000 :/

Quote Originally Posted by SyQuEsT
    Where are you from ? I'm Canadian (Quebec city), I have some QL products from Sounds Online ... my dealer knows this company (like many other one)
    Hi SyQuEsT I am from Toronto.

Incidentally I did call the customs office and go through to a warm body suprisingly fast. They mentioned that because of the NAFTA free trade agreement that there is no duty on computer software or licences as long as the product is made in the US.

So unless Sounds Online is labelling their package contents as something different then there shouldn't be any. Guess I will contact them to see how their product is labelled.

Thanks to everyone else who replied and I will let you know how it turns out.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by K Lundquist
    Just thought I'd chime in with my experience, even though I'm not from Canada:
    Back in the day when I bought Gold, I was also concerned about duty and taxes (since they are about 25% here in DK), So I contacted Sounds Online, and I was told that they would put on a sticker that said $10 - So "YEAY" I thought, but they didn't, and I ended up paying the duty and taxes for the $1,000 :/
    The same happened to me....I'd blame it on the fact they are a big compagny and comunication is more difficulte...I will not order anything from them until they fix this....When i think about the extra money i paied and what i could buy with it........The VSL Solo strings come to minde.

Quote Originally Posted by dabbler
    There is no duty (in Canada) on computer software on CD or DVD. NAFTA doesn't matter here - it doesn't matter where it comes from.

However, East West send their stuff through FedEx. That means that it automatically gets cleared through customs by FedEx. FedEx charge a fortune for it (regardless of what they'll tell you on the phone!). Better to get a local customs broker to give you a price up front and then ask East West to mark who your customs broker is on the package. Whoever clears it will charge you a brokerage fee. But that can vary, and FedEx aren't cheap. They're also pretty incompetent as far as customs brokers go.

You will also pay GST or HST or PST whatever applies in your province.

My wife is a customs broker... I get my stuff cleared for free but I still have to pay HST but she waives her brokerage fee

Rich
    You're right, i remember now....

Ok - thanks for tip - very much appreciated!

Go Back to forum