• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: STRADI 2.0: Bach's 2 Vl Concerto improved + Largo!

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Lightbulb STRADI 2.0: Bach's 2 Vl Concerto improved + Largo!

    Here an improved version of the "Vivace" excerpt from J.S. Bach's Double Violin Concerto in D min. The 2 solo violins are still Stradivari 2.01 and 1.08, both included in the new package with Kontakt player 2.

    J.S.Bach Double Violin Concerto in Dmin - Vivace

    Still far from being perfect, but representative of some of the expressive advantages of the new sound control and real time shaping, nearly impossible with standard sample-based libraries, here the "Largo, ma non tanto" (slow, but not too much...) theme exposition of the same concerto. A true challenge, tell me your comments:

    J.S.Bach Double Violin Concerto in Dmin - Largo, ma non tanto

    I had fun reproducing not only some effect to make it as realistic as possible, but also following my personal taste for some performance nuance, like a conductor should do. A nearly infinite number of other options would be possible, it's exciting artistic power in your hands IMHO.

    MIDI FILE

  2. #2

    Re: STRADI 2.0: Bach's 2 Vl Concerto improved + Largo!

    Fabio:

    Really outstanding in both instances. Loved the deep expression you put into the Largo. I just sat back and enjoyed this "live" performance so much. Thank you for working it up for us.

    Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

  3. #3

    Red face Re: STRADI 2.0: Bach's 2 Vl Concerto improved + Largo!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Fabio:

    Really outstanding in both instances. Loved the deep expression you put into the Largo. I just sat back and enjoyed this "live" performance so much. Thank you for working it up for us.

    Jack
    Thanks. Usually I use a real execution as a reference, and after I make it mine with little changes. For that pice I did it totally different from my records, aiming to the performance "I had in mind and never had the chance to hear..." due to very different approach of people playing in my records. It's a stimulating side of the virtual music, it makes the work less heavy and more meaningful.

  4. #4

    Re: STRADI 2.0: Bach's 2 Vl Concerto improved + Largo!

    Ah, Fabio, my friend, it is always such an enormous
    pleasure for me to listen to your work... just flawless
    musicianship from first note to last... what can I
    say but:

    Bravo!

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  5. #5

    Re: STRADI 2.0: Bach's 2 Vl Concerto improved + Largo!

    Nice work Fabio, I really like those classical compositions,

    On the Largo piece, if I may suggest, when you're holding those long notes, taper off the dynamics at the end of the note. Right now the note grows and grows and then cuts off abruptly, and when it happens over and over, it's a bit noticeable. Just play with the dynamics so they are not always the same with every note, and try to transition the dynamics across the legato notes so that the whole phrase has dynamics applied, not just note by note.

    Are you sequencing it note by note, or are you playing it live on the keyboard (and tweaking it later)?

  6. #6

    Re: STRADI 2.0: Bach's 2 Vl Concerto improved + Largo!

    Outstanding Fabio- IMO this is a great leap forward. Quite a wonderful performance and one that I would happily listen to alongside any quote-unquote "real" rendition!! Bravo!

  7. #7

    Re: STRADI 2.0: Bach's 2 Vl Concerto improved + Largo!

    Outstanding - for BOTH - AS USUaL !!!
    any chance of getting a 10-16 bar sample of the Largo midi file to see your use of Mod wheel, aftertouch, expresstion controls?

    Thanks for such wonderful renditions of the classics

    Fred

  8. #8

    Thumbs up Re: STRADI 2.0: Bach's 2 Vl Concerto improved + Largo!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    Nice work Fabio, I really like those classical compositions,

    On the Largo piece, if I may suggest, when you're holding those long notes, taper off the dynamics at the end of the note. Right now the note grows and grows and then cuts off abruptly, and when it happens over and over, it's a bit noticeable. Just play with the dynamics so they are not always the same with every note, and try to transition the dynamics across the legato notes so that the whole phrase has dynamics applied, not just note by note.
    Thanks for taking it from an artistic point of view!

    I should explain why the theme is played in "messa di voce" (crescendo) due to counterpoint recognizable "retorica degli affetti" (the baroque playing and composing technic related to feelings and musical meaning, where the main theme "soggetto" and the countermelodies "play" a role to be recognized in every entry), and you may correctly suggest a less enphatized and less repetitive formula application...it's wonderful!

    Thanks again: we should talk about the performance instead of the technology, and it is a tribute to the flexibility of such an instrument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    Are you sequencing it note by note, or are you playing it live on the keyboard (and tweaking it later)?
    I play slow and easy phrases with the articulation on the keyboard, and adjust later tempo map and controller for better results. I start from MIDI sequences for fast and difficoult phrases, and a more detailed and deep MIDI tweaking is requested for that: results can be equally good after the job.

  9. #9

    Smile Re: STRADI 2.0: Bach's 2 Vl Concerto improved + Largo!

    Quote Originally Posted by fred Holmes
    any chance of getting a 10-16 bar sample of the Largo midi file to see your use of Mod wheel, aftertouch, expresstion controls?

    Fred
    Yes of course, I'll post soon (tomorrow). Adding some comments it will be like a little tutorial, but everybody will be free/ready for going further and improve it or make it following personal taste!

  10. #10

    Post Re: STRADI 2.0: Bach's 2 Vl Concerto improved + Largo!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Yes of course, I'll post soon (tomorrow). Adding some comments it will be like a little tutorial, but everybody will be free/ready for going further and improve it or make it following personal taste!
    THE complete MIDI source:

    MIDI file

    Only the excerpt are fully edited. But the rest is available for who would like to go on.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •