• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anitra's Dance - Grieg for Wind Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Anitra's Dance - Grieg for Wind Orchestra

This is a transcriptions for wind orchestra of Greig's "Antira's Dance" originally set for string orchestra. I posted the orchestral version to the forum recently. Since then I have transcribed this from the orchestral score to winds using the GPO and JABB instruments as follows;

Flute - Plr1 & Plr 2
    Oboe - Modern Plr1 & Plr 2
    Clarinet - Eb Solo, Bb Plr1, Plr 2 & Plr 3
    Bass Clr - Plr 1
    Bassoon - Plr 1
    Alto Sax - Plr1 & Plr 2
    Tenor Sax - Plr 2
    Baritone Sax - Plr 1
    French Horn - Plr1 & Plr 2
    Tube 1 Solo
    Dbl Bass - Plr 1
    Basic Orch Percussion - Triangle

The score is reproduced in Finale 2006 to the original score with some adjustments to balance the parts.

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Anit...ceWindOrch.mp3

Here is the original orchestral rendering as a comparison to the wind orchestra transcription.

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Anit...eOrchestra.mp3

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Anitra's Dance - Grieg for Wind Orchestra

Thanks for the earlier preview on this, Gary; a well
    done arrangement of it that preserves much of the
    sense and feel of the original.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hello, Gary---Anitra is dancing as I type.

This piece is one of the first classical pieces I ever heard as a child. It was instantly magical to me. Hearing your woodwind re-interpretation of it is reminding me that the piece retains its magic for me.

This is really lovely. Impressive work--I thank you for it.

I have one question--In your post you listed the instruments you used:

Flute - Plr1 & Plr 2
    Oboe - Modern Plr1 & Plr 2
    Clarinet - Eb Solo, Bb Plr1, Plr 2 & Plr 3
    Bass Clr - Plr 1
    Bassoon - Plr 1
    Alto Sax - Plr1 & Plr 2
    Tenor Sax - Plr 2
    Baritone Sax - Plr 1
    French Horn - Plr1 & Plr 2
    Tube 1 Solo
    Dbl Bass - Plr 1
    Basic Orch Percussion - Triangle

Why so many Players, instead of the soloists? I've found the greater complexity in the solo samples to be generally more natural and true to their acoustic conterparts. The French Horn solo, for instance, is nuanced and satisfying, as compared to the duller and more sine-wave sound of the players.

Perhaps you find the simpler, duller sounds to blend better in ensemble? I'm always curious how other people are using GPO, so I would enjoy hearing your philosophy behind your instrument choices.

Thanks again for the piece.

rbowser

David,

Thanks for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed it.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

I enjoyed it too... bravo Gary !

Roberto

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hello, Gary---Anitra is dancing as I type.

This piece is one of the first classical pieces I ever heard as a child. It was instantly magical to me. Hearing your woodwind re-interpretation of it is reminding me that the piece retains its magic for me.

This is really lovely. Impressive work--I thank you for it.
    I am glad that you enjoyed the work.

Why so many Players, instead of the soloists? I've found the greater complexity in the solo samples to be generally more natural and true to their
    There is no simple answer to this. However, the first thing you have to realize is that the transcription is for wind orchester or symphonic concert band winds. This is the standard ordering and selection for a winds only performance. The Tuba and String Bass are provided to bring an extra measure of depth to the work. But they could be left out if it were a better fit not to use them.

Generally speaking a wind orchestra would not have just a single musician on a stand as a wind ensemble might. The GPO/JABB wind instruements are all individual single player samples, not sections such as the strings can be selected. The instrumentation in this transcription is written in ensembles and choirs, staggered and mixed as it were. There are clearly places for resting and breathing so that no group plays endlessly. Often instrument groups are doubled where appropriate to provide a fuller sound. Many of the instruments, such as clarinet and F Horn, do not play with vibrato, so that produces a slightly duller sound that would strings.

Perhaps you find the simpler, duller sounds to blend better in ensemble? I'm always curious how other people are using GPO, so I would enjoy hearing your philosophy behind your instrument choices.
    I do not understand this last comment. The playback that you hear is directly from the Finale score that I will publish from. The winds transcription will certainly have a differenct sound that the string orchestra does. The instrument sounds you hear here are what is produced by the GPO/JABB libraries and nothing else. The only other modifier is the inclusion of some Ambient for fullness and light vibrato on appropriate instruments.

Thanks for listening and your comments. I hope that I have answered some of your questions.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum