• Register
  • Help

Topic: External Hard Drive for Samples?

Share/Bookmark

External Hard Drive for Samples?

Would using a 7200RPM USB2 hard drive for streaming samples be better than streaming samples off the same drive that the operating system is on?

A friend just gave me a 3 year old desktop Compac computer that will hold only 1 H.D. It's a Pentium4 2.4 GH with 1 Gig of RAM. Is it worth it buying another gig of RAM and buying an external hard drive for samples?

Thanks for the advice,

Jim

Re: External Hard Drive for Samples?

Honestly, while you could get some use out of that PC, you could actually buy one with superior specs for no more than $500. Streaming samples from a hard drive is already not quite as good as having them entirely loaded into memory, but loading them via USB adds additional latency. My advice? If you definitely can't afford a new computer, at least get the extra gig of RAM for this one. When you do upgrade to another computer down the line you can use it in conjunction with your new one to load additional synths/samples and share the processing/memory burden.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Aversa
    Honestly, while you could get some use out of that PC, you could actually buy one with superior specs for no more than $500. Streaming samples from a hard drive is already not quite as good as having them entirely loaded into memory, but loading them via USB adds additional latency. My advice? If you definitely can't afford a new computer, at least get the extra gig of RAM for this one. When you do upgrade to another computer down the line you can use it in conjunction with your new one to load additional synths/samples and share the processing/memory burden.
    I just got finished building a very powerful computer. I wanted to use the one I mentioned here for additional power and was wondering the best, most efficient way to go about it given its limitations.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by runamuck
    Would using a 7200RPM USB2 hard drive for streaming samples be better than streaming samples off the same drive that the operating system is on?

A friend just gave me a 3 year old desktop Compac computer that will hold only 1 H.D. It's a Pentium4 2.4 GH with 1 Gig of RAM. Is it worth it buying another gig of RAM and buying an external hard drive for samples?

Thanks for the advice,

Jim
    Nice friend you have..

But there's got to be room in there for one more hard drive right?...I'm sure USB 2 will work but it would be much better to put it inside...

I think it would be a waist to leave that Pc as it is. I would put a gig of ram and a hard drive in there and start rebuilding my template ...I just don't see how you can regret it...maybe you want to put your biggest sound on your big Pc just to be safe regarding performance etc..dryer sounds like VSL will work fine on a 2.4...sounds with big release trails will work better on the big Pc...

The thing that is great about working with big templates spread over many Pcs is that your machines don't need to be that powerfull because the workload that use to be on one machine will be spread on 2 machines...your new 2,4 will be a very nice addition to your setup. Good for you!

You might want to look into FX-teleport/MOL as a nice/cheap land solution in case you didn't know...

Also, is this ecc registered memory?...if so it cost twice as much...so ask if you can use regular memory if possible...

...I would test my software in there before buying anything in case of incompatibilty problems...

Good luck!

Go Back to forum