• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bach-fugue Gm

Share/Bookmark

Stradi Bach-fugue Gm

An essay on the Stradivari as a solo instrument; it's the fugue from the sonata in G minor for solo violin. I don't know if there are any wrong notes in there, for I've downloaded a free music transcription from the net, a non official publication.

kind regards

Roberto

http://mio.discoremoto.alice.it/robs...onGm-Fugue.mp3

click on "scarica"

Re: Bach-fugue Gm

Perhaps a little too verby for my taste, but nonetheless, great job on this Roberto!

I think you've managed to really give the violin some emotion using dynamics and different expression and you've certainly put it through its paces with detache and legato phrasing!

The SSV never ceases to amaze me in the proper hands

Bravo Roberto.

I completely adore this piece.
    I used to play it in my own transcription for classical guitar, and my wife plays it sometimes.

Some people (e.g. Fabio ) say Bach was the greatest ever composer, and when I am in the kind of mood to agree with them, I always think of the fugues for solo violin. The writing is completely breathtaking, innovative, surprising, ingenious.

I enjoyed your rendering very much, some excellent tuning effects, and the final unleashing of the full vibrato, is very telling.

Magnificent Work !!!

regards Joe

Reegs, thank you, yes it's a bit too reverberated maybe. I wanted to give this piece a resounding character, as if played in a small church. I will upload a dryer version...

Roberto

Joe, my friend, thank you, and please ask your wife to forgive me. I used to love a recording of this sonata by Andres Segovia, who had a passionate way of interpreting Bach. I often find the interpretation of Bach's music slightly cold and rigid...

ciao

Roberto

PS I have copied the eq of the violin from a recording by Shlomo Mintz, dark but i like it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob
    I often find the interpretation of Bach's music slightly cold and rigid...

ciao

Roberto

PS I have copied the eq of the violin from a recording by Shlomo Mintz, dark but i like it.
    I agree, Roberto, that some interpretations of Bach, can be a little cold. There is often 2 different stories going on in Bach's pieces. The surface of his music seems very rational, focused, working inexorably to a pre-determined end.
    But the harmonic content, or implied harmonic content in the case of the solo violin music, is often very passionate, sometimes bizarre, daring, exploratory, unpredictable.

That is why Bach's admirers have such a strong case, because his music is such a superb marriage of Head and Heart.

I am interested in the eq settings you used.
    Can you give any more details, about how you arrived at them. ?
    Did you you use a plugin, or the native eq module of your sequencer ?
    Did you copy the eq settings of your favoured recording by ear, or use some kind of analysis tool ?

regards Joe

Joe, I use the so called "spectrum capture tool" inside the Voxengo Curve eq plugin. It allows you to analyse and copy any audio file that has a similar timbre content. You simply load a track, say from cd, press "capture", save the result, load the saved spectrum and apply to your material. It's a useful tool and it's basically the reason why I bought the plugin...

bye

Roberto

Roberto, I think you have some of the best Strad programming chops I've heard. This sounds so natural and alive. Fantastic job with this piece!

Quote Originally Posted by jmc
    This sounds so natural and alive.
    jmc, thank you, this is just what I was trying to do; make it as natural and alive as possible. Though at a slower tempo, I have played the piece in one go from start to end... but I have then refined the midi track as I am used to do, taking care of legato, staccato, accents and so on. The reverb may sound a bit too much, but this IR I applied has a deep kind of quality that I found very fit for the track.

best

Roberto

Great work, Oldbob!!! Sounds like Accardo in his best years!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast