• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tuba question

Share/Bookmark

Tuba question

Hello,

What is the difference between the Tuba and the Contrabass Tuba? When listening to samples of each, I can't tell if there is a difference but I've seen scores that call for both Tuba and Contrabass tuba.

Is there a sound characteristic that is different between the two instruments or is it interchangeable (sort of like how in Richard Strauss, he would call for a horn in F and a horn in D but now these would just be the same double horn). Is one type of tuba more common in specific settings (ie: for Wagner type sounds, generally contrabass tubas are used but in Ravel, it would be just the tuba)?

Thanks.

Re: Tuba question

Quote Originally Posted by karelm
    Hello,

What is the difference between the Tuba and the Contrabass Tuba? When listening to samples of each, I can't tell if there is a difference but I've seen scores that call for both Tuba and Contrabass tuba.

Is there a sound characteristic that is different between the two instruments or is it interchangeable (sort of like how in Richard Strauss, he would call for a horn in F and a horn in D but now these would just be the same double horn). Is one type of tuba more common in specific settings (ie: for Wagner type sounds, generally contrabass tubas are used but in Ravel, it would be just the tuba)?

Thanks.
    Hi, Karelm...

If you can wait a day or two, I am preparing an extensive tutorial about the tuba and related instruments. It's almost done (Honest, Gary, it is...)

For now, "bass tuba" implies Eb or F, and "contrabass tuba" implies CC in the USA and some of Europe and usually BBb in Germany.
    "Tenor tuba" implies euphonium in the absence of a true (but rare) tenor tuba.

Please look at some of my other posts in which I have answered similar questions. Just do a search for posts from Snorlax with the word tuba in them. There are several.

GENERAL RULE: Write the notes you want to hear, AT PITCH in BASS CLEF for orchestra, and let the performer choose the instrument.

Stay tuned for tuba news...
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: Tuba question

Karelm,

It's coming, honest it's coming...too busy playing & copying & day job. & wife & kids & exchange student...

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum