• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO and mod wheel

Share/Bookmark

Question GPO and mod wheel

I am considering buying this sample library but from all the posts I have read it seems that the mod wheel is quite important. Unfortunately my midi keyboard does not have one - and although I believe you can 'turn' the knob in kontakt, this is not very practical. Does anyone know of a way around this?
    Thanks

Lloyd

Re: GPO and mod wheel

You can also draw in the modwheel data in your sequencing program.

If you have a slider or knob on your keyboard, you might also be able to map that to the modwheel controller, CC#1. That's what I do with my Edirol PCR.

There are now so many different models of affordable USB or FireWire MIDI controller keyboards out there--almost all of them with mod wheels. It might be time to consider upgrading.

M-Audio, Edirol, Korg, Novation, EMU, Behringer, CME, etc.

74 Examples at Musicians Friend

Consider getting one that accepts an expression pedal input in addition to the sustain pedal/switch. That would also be helpful with Garritan instruments.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Your options are (including those already mentioned above):
    • draw in modwheel data afterwards in your midi sequencer (I do this even if I am putting it in live, I don't always (ever?) get it right)
    • buy another complete keyboard with the relevant controls to replace the one you are using
    • buy a 'second' cheap keyboard (eg 1 octave but with a modwheel) and piggy back it on your main keyboard
    • buy dedicated midi controller unit - eg Edirol U-Control, which will sit on top of your keyboard, and/or something like FCB1010 which will sit on the floor and you can modwheel using pedals - both of these are really useful with any library/soft synths not just GPO. I personally find doing 'expression' with a pedal much more natural than reaching across to a mod wheel with my left hand.
    • if you have a games joystick or racing wheel you can use the joystick or accelerator pedal as a midi controller (posts elsewhere on this forum how to do this)
    Twiddling the knob on the Kontakt player is not really any good as this doesn't get recorded in your sequencer.

Wow, it's Llloyd Buck!!

Hi LLoyd - I've been amazed at some of your pieces on SibeliusMusic. Especially the Vivaldi Four Seasons transcribed for piano.

Hey guys, check this man out!
    "Lloyd's homepage on SibMus"

Seriously Lloyd, you've got to get GPO!! It's really good!! Yep, a mod wheel is pretty important though, especially for a chap like you who I imagine would be churning out some highly classy stuff

Best wishes
    Jon Raybould

Lloyd,

Try to get a controller that has aftertouch, a Mod Wheel and also some extra slide controllers. You WILL want them. Also, a non-weighted keyboard is much nicer for orchestral instruments in general.

I got a cheap "Axiom" controller.

jmp

Quote Originally Posted by jonray
    Wow, it's Llloyd Buck!!

Hi LLoyd - I've been amazed at some of your pieces on SibeliusMusic. Especially the Vivaldi Four Seasons transcribed for piano.

Hey guys, check this man out!
    "Lloyd's homepage on SibMus"

Seriously Lloyd, you've got to get GPO!! It's really good!! Yep, a mod wheel is pretty important though, especially for a chap like you who I imagine would be churning out some highly classy stuff

Best wishes
    Jon Raybould

Thanks Jon! If you haven't heard them yet, please do look at my piano sonata and symphonic poem - witches and wizards. You may like them!

Cheers

Lloyd

Thanks for your replys!

Does anyone know if you can re-programme a volume control or pitch bend wheel to a mod wheel? I am thinking about buying a prodikeys from creative http://www.prodikeys.com/products/pr...cification.asp and wondered if this would do it?

Thanks

Lloyd

You don't want that keyboard. There are really too few keys, among other things. Look for a 49-key minimum. Anything with keyswitching will be really difficult to use otherwise. Also, you'll want one programmable data entry slider minimum, separate from the mod and pitch wheels.

Go Back to forum