• Register
  • Help

Topic: Take 2 - Piano Sonata in g minor, 1st Movment

Share/Bookmark

Take 2 - Piano Sonata in g minor, 1st Movment

I just finished a revision of the first movement of the little piano sonata I’m working on. For those of you who didn’t read the first thread, I have been studying Beethoven and decided to write a piece influenced/inspired by LvB. I don’t want to say “in the style of” because it really isn’t, but the influence is definitely there.

A quick run down of changes –

I decided to keep the intro but changed the tempo a little and the rhythms abit. You may see why later in the piece.

I decided the first theme was too short and so expanded it a bit.

The transition section/modulating bridge in the expo has been expanded to include a short section that goes from the original g minor through d flat minor, g flat minor, b minor, D major, d minor and F major before hitting the relative major, B flat major (mostly simple circle of fifths movement). (I decided not to use this transition in the recap because I like what I had too much.)

I expanded the ending a little, adding a coda. The intro comes back to introduce a short segment in the key of the Neapolitan.

Do you like the changes (or like it if you didn’t hear the original version)?

I had a “yes” and a “no” over the intro – what do you think, now that it’s more integrated, should I keep it?

Is the coda long enough?

As always, any comment and all comments greatly appreciated.

Sonata in g minor, 1st movement

Edit - new version
    will return......
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 11-20-2006 at 09:41 PM. Reason: slight revision of file
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Take 2 - Piano Sonata in g minor, 1st Movment

Hi Trent,

though it is early in the morning here, I've listened to your revision.
    Skip the intro. Let the people be surprised by the fierce first chord (to awaken them). The coda is long enough, but the first slow part needs a bit revision (it sound as if you were hitting the wrong keys).

Some of the keychanges surprised me. Though they maybe in minor scale it sounded major (you know every minor has a major counterpart). Look into this. But the general impression: a major improvement..... now we all wait for the real Garritan Steinway.......

Great stuff and go on studying Beethoven..... it is worth doing this.

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

Thanks for listening to the latest version.

I may drop the intro. If I was 100% convinced it was needed I wouldn't have asked As far as the "wrong notes" in the coda, I'm assuming you are talking about the part that matches the beginning of the intro. If the intro goes, of course those notes become meaningless and go too. Even if I keep the intro I may make a few small changes...Edit - I just posted a version without the intro

One modulation may be too abrupt - I reinterpreted the leading tone chord of g minor as the leading tone chord of d flat minor - it sounds almost like there is a skip. I wrote a few measures to make the transition a little less jarring, but I didn't like it. I may try something else. Edit - I just did a slight change to this modulation - put it back to how I originally wrote it.

The second theme is in the relative major, B flat. Beethoven sometimes found ways to avoid the relative major for most of the second theme in his minor works. I do move back and forth between B flat major and minor. Maybe I need more emphasis on the minor...

And yes, the Garritan Steinway will be great for doing this type of stuff.

Thanks again for your comments.
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 11-18-2006 at 02:18 PM. Reason: minor changes to file and new version
    Trent P. McDonald

Great job with the rework thus far, Trent; this really
    flies along -- and with strong energy and coherence.

I'm about 50-50 on the intro. I don't know that I would
    cut that; but perhaps consider making it more strongly
    inferrential of subsequent thematic material.

As composers perhaps we don't often consider this
    fact: but the ear hears backwards into a piece as well
    as forward into it... so what happens early in a piece
    not only influences what comes later; but what comes
    later also influence the sense one has of what came
    before.

Speaking of sense, I hope the paragraph above made
    some... lol!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks for your comments David.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    As composers perhaps we don't often consider this
    fact: but the ear hears backwards into a piece as well
    as forward into it... so what happens early in a piece
    not only influences what comes later; but what comes
    later also influence the sense one has of what came
    before.

Speaking of sense, I hope the paragraph above made
    some... lol!
    I think I understand what you are talking about here. Sort of like a book that the first chapter starts to make sense only when the book is half finished.

I’m about 65% sure I am going to keep an intro and 55% it will be this one. Here are some reasons –

1. There is a reprise of the intro in the coda. Of course, any intro I use can be reprised, it doesn’t have to be this one.

2. The intro starts on the Neapolitan. I use this relation ship throughout the whole piece and this sets it up. There are now a total of 3 modulations that use the Neapolitan but all three are totally different. Of course, I could use the chord in the intro and change the notes.

3. I use the rhythm from the first part of the intro in a motif used in the modulating bridge.

4. I use almost the same repeating note motif in the intro and in the second theme.

I’ll confess that this intro was taken out of my Halloween piece and put in here as a placeholder while I wrote a better intro, however, I ended up using it as I wrote the piece.

Anyway, I’m saying it’s a bad idea to change it, just giving my reasons for not. At least for the time being – I may change my mind totally by tomorrow.

By the way, I posted a new version. I did not change the file without the intro, only the one with the intro. I changed a modulation in the bridge that used a diminished seventh to make a huge leap. It is now one of the three modulations using the Neapolitan (it’s reinterpreted as the dominant of d minor).

Thanks again for listening and for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

I've been having problems with my web site, so if you haven't been able to listen to this, try later. Edit - the site is back up and should be working
    Trent P. McDonald

Nice job on this. I'm very impressed! I look forward to hearing the rest of the work. Really no comments other than: this is really enjoyable! Love the energy!

Quote Originally Posted by jmc
    Nice job on this. I'm very impressed! I look forward to hearing the rest of the work. Really no comments other than: this is really enjoyable! Love the energy!
    Thanks jmc. After I started writing I decided to go for a perpetual motion/ high energy sound. I wasn’t sure if straight 16th notes through the whole thing would get a little tiring.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum