• Register
  • Help

Topic: Combining sustain and legato vsl strings

Share/Bookmark

Combining sustain and legato vsl strings

I'm trying to put together a multi from the included vsl library where I have sustain strings at the bottom end of the keyboard and legato violins at the top. Is there a way I can stop the sustains from being cut off by note changes at the top end, or is this just impossible with one keyboard? Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I'm not too good with midi......

Re: Combining sustain and legato vsl strings

Not sure what you mean.

Having 2 instruments on the same channel, one at each end of the keyboard, is a good idea and I do it a lot. I put each set of zones in a different group (though this isn't essential) and can thereby control volume etc with different ccs, so they are completely independent. 2 for the price of 1.

Whichever way you do it, notes on/off at one end of the keyboard should have no effect whatever at the other end (unless you run out of voices)

Stephen

Hi Stephen

Thanks for your help. I think the problem is that the legato strings at the top end are monophonic (usually so with legato) and any key pressed cuts off the previous one. So somehow the legato gets interrupted by the lower end note on. Is there a simple way around this without delving too deeply into Kontakt?

Quote Originally Posted by nicjones
    ... Is there a simple way around this without delving too deeply into Kontakt?
    Yes. As Stephen mentioned, put your sustained strings in one instrument (at the bottom end) and your legato violins in another instrument (at the top end). Set both to the same MIDI channel. This should prevent the monophonic legato from controlling the cut-off of your sustained instruments, but they will play as one instrument from one controller.

Thanks a lot guys! I'll give it a try!

Nic

Well, I tried that. The sustained strings are at the bottom end in their own keygroup, with the legato strings in theirs (with no overlaps). I can hold a sustained chord at the bottom end and solo legato on top of that, but if I hold a legato note and the try to change the sustained chord, this cuts out the legato note I'm playing.

Have I missed something?

By the way, I really love Kontakt, but it's seems a bit too complex at times.....

Nic,

Yep, I just tested exactly what you describe. Looks like the legato script is affected by any note, even if it is outside of the instrument range. Insert the "Limit Range" script into script slot 1 before the legato script of your violins. Set the low note range to the lowest note of these legato violins. Now your legato violins and sustain strings will play together nicely.

Derek

Thanks Derek, I'll give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by dvincent
    Nic,

Yep, I just tested exactly what you describe. Looks like the legato script is affected by any note, even if it is outside of the instrument range. Insert the "Limit Range" script into script slot 1 before the legato script of your violins. Set the low note range to the lowest note of these legato violins. Now your legato violins and sustain strings will play together nicely.

Derek
    That's Awesome. Now I can do a lot of thngs that used to take me to seperate tracks to edit. This will be so much better. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. P.S. Could someone who knows about piano scripts please take a look at "MORE PIANO SCRIPTS" Even if you have no asnwer to the problem, it would be great if you jsut say what script you like and for what library.

Go Back to forum