• Register
  • Help

Topic: Observation: Studying Basic Rules

Share/Bookmark

Observation: Studying Basic Rules

Hi,
    i was thinking about all RK's examples.....they have almost all the possible combinations of unisons, doublings and as we see in the lesson (Orchestrating the same music), a single composition can have a lot of different orchestrations...so why it is so important to study scores??? i mean every composer orchestrates in a different way..... I talked of this to my professor and he said that the tecnology that we have today (sample libraries) have made it possible to just study the rules and then find our own voice. what do u think about it? Sorry 4 my bad english i hope u understand!!!

Re: Observation: Studying Basic Rules

Quote Originally Posted by aLfR3dd
    Hi,
    i was thinking about all RK's examples.....they have almost all the possible combinations of unisons, doublings and as we see in the lesson (Orchestrating the same music), a single composition can have a lot of different orchestrations...so why it is so important to study scores??? i mean every composer orchestrates in a different way..... I talked of this to my professor and he said that the tecnology that we have today (sample libraries) have made it possible to just study the rules and then find our own voice. what do u think about it? Sorry 4 my bad english i hope u understand!!!
    aLfR3dd,

This is a very good topic you raise.

It is important to study scores because it gives is a context in which these instrument colors are applied.

If you look at it like an artist, these instrument combinations are like color combinations. You combine blue and yellow to get green, red and yellow to get orange, and so on. There are almost an infinite variety of color combinations. How you apply these colors to paint your masterpeice, the subtle shades, the brush strokes, balance, the supporting context are all important in painting your sonic landscape.

Your professor is right in one regard that sample libraries gives us instant access to tone color, just as photoshop gives us access to many colors. But the true artist knows how and where to apply these colors.

What are some other thoughts about this?

Gary Garritan

I'm afraid that I'm not exactly sure that I understand fully the question. "why is it important to study scores?".

This is a general question and the answer is rather simple: To provide yourself with examples. And because usually you have a certain sound in your head, because you heard it on a concert, or CD, or something, it could provide youwith the "secret" of that sound simply by looking at the score.

Other than that orchestration is also a matter of aesthetics (that goes along with the time the work was written), so RK is heavily different than the scores of Prokofiev, or Ravel, or Stravinsky. It is highly interesting to see how these different people work to produce their different sounds.

While your professor is right, what you get with sample libraries are the bare timbres. Combinations are a different story and certainly everyone will tell you that it takes experience to try them out.

There is a difference between having in your disposal water colours, and actually drawing something good, no?

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    There is a difference between having in your disposal water colours, and actually drawing something good, no?
    Well said Nikolas

Gary is quite acurate in comparing this to visual art. Speaking as a visual artist(animator), I think I can say that pretty generally no-one creates within a vaccuum. One is always looking for inspiration, techniques and just...well, beauty in other people's works. You might even recognize things that you don't like and would personally try to avoid...but I think this is an important key--RECOGNITION. You realize more about yourself and your own "voice" through observing other examples and how you relate and respond to them.

I have never composed anything for an orchestra and before starting to go through this course I was OVERWHELMED and thought that it's impossible. But through the examples and looking through more scores I'm starting to realize patterns, textures and sounds that now make sense.

Does that make sense?
    Orbit

thanks everybody ..i agree with all you said ...i just wanted to say that sample libraries give us the opportunity to choose and then LISTEN to all the possible combinations without having to look to mozart's scores to listen how flute and bassoons sound in double octaves!!! yes it's really great to see how they use these colors but maybe someone just wants to do his thing and create new effects like a think stravinsky and others did

happy music to everybody byee

Go Back to forum