• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Barber Violin Concerto Stradi 2.0

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Barber Violin Concerto Stradi 2.0

Here is my version of the opening of the Barber Violin Concerto. (3 min 20 seconds).

Barber Violin Concerto Version2.mp3

The Orchestra is my normal GPO VSL SAM Brass hybrid.
    This proved to be a very tough piece to pull off using virtual instruments.
    Highly Romantic, very Rubato in feeling.

The closing tutti has always reminded me of those overwrought 1940's film scores ( Casablanca etc,).

This is one of Barbers most celebrated and performed works, and some say it has a recognisably "American" sound.

All comments welcome.

regards Joe

Re: Barber Violin Concerto Stradi 2.0

Nice going, Mr. Joe! Beautiful realization. You handled the upper fiddle register without being screechy and that's not easy to do.

Thanks for posting this. Your talents impress me.

Best regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thumbs up Re: Barber Violin Concerto Stradi 2.0

The rendering of the orchestra, including tempo are excellent.

And a nice expressions in the Stradi part.
    I'm just wondering if the sound of the low register dominating the piece can be improved a little (eg. lower velocity in some attack and more vibrato variations?).

A very warm and evocative piece, yes, good choice!

Ah, an old favorite! Have you done anything with the second movement?
    Wow, the range of expression/articulation you get out of the Strad is very impressive, indeed. It may be the compression to mp3, but it could have a little more room/ambience; it all sounded a little too close. But, I imagine your intention was to show off the Strad - hey, just like a concerto!

Thanks for showing what can be done.

All the best.

Ron

Joe, this is really excellent! And I must confess I had never heard this concerto, now I know what cd I'll buy next time a enter a store... your rendition of the orchestra is outstanding! There are just a couple of notes in the violin at the beginning that have some kind of 'reed timbre' in there but the overall sound is impressive, bravissimo!

Roberto

Joe,

Excellent work on this very difficult to produce work. You hard work really shows and the use of the libraries made it come together. Well done!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    You handled the upper fiddle register without being screechy and that's not easy to do.

Best regards,

Larry
    Thanks Mr Larry. I was very aware of this problem, and tried to make some suitable compensations.
    I fear I may have gone too far with these compensations, and so have amended the mp3.

Thanks for stopping by.

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    I'm just wondering if the sound of the low register dominating the piece can be improved a little
    Thanks Fabio.
    I have been worrying about this problem, and am very grateful to you, for pointing it out.

I have been trying to create a bit more distance from the Stradi sound without, drowning it in reverb.

I have been experimenting with eq to create the sound of a Stradi heard from 15 metres.

I think I used too much of this eq, and have remixed it and uploaded.

It is very easy to use Reverb or Impulse responses to create this desired distance. But I have found, that the ideal amount for the Stradi can be too much for the Brass and Percussion, if you are trying to keep a realistic soundstage.

I use SIR to utilise the IR's for reverb, but I think I will have to move up to Altiverb, to gain more subtle control of placement on the soundstage.

It is early days with the Stradi2 and we are all still finding our way to bring the best out of this fantastic instrument.

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob
    And I must confess I had never heard this concerto, now I know what cd I'll buy next time a enter a store...

Roberto
    I am glad that I am introducing you to this piece Roberto. ( That was one of my intentions in doing this piece)
    It is a fascinating composition, rich in lyricism, and beautiful harmony. I think that there was some complaint that the first 2 movements were not virtuosic enough, so the finale, compensates by being ridiculously diificult. ( Composers can be like that. )

Thank you for pointing out the "reedy" timbre, I have dialled back the eq, and uploaded a new version.

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Joe,

Excellent work on this very difficult to produce work. !

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    Cheers Gary.
    If I would have known how difficult, I would never have started.
    But now............. I am glad I did.

regards Joe

Go Back to forum