• Register
  • Help

Topic: 1st Movement, Piano Sonata in g minor

Share/Bookmark

1st Movement, Piano Sonata in g minor

This is a draft of the first movement of a new piano sonata in g minor. I wrote most of this in a day, which is very, very rapidly for me, so I need to make sure I am on the right track.

Lately I have been studying Beethoven. This is not supposed to be an imitation of LvB or be in his style. I like to think of it as I was inspired by his music when I wrote this. Later, after I finish this and do bit more studying I might try something a little closer to his style.

The introduction to this is a shortened version of the intro to my Halloween song I recently posted. It hints at a few ideas that come up in the body of the movement. My question to you – do I need this intro or can I lose it? I like it, but feel it may not add as much to it as I would like.

I also have a question about the ending. I was originally planning a long coda, but it suddenly seemed to want to come to an end so I listen to it and brought it to a close. Am I cutting it off too short? Should I change it a bit and add that coda? Rememeber, there will be another movement or two (or three).

Anyway, any comments are greatly appreciated.

Note: A new version was posted on 11/17

Piano Sonata in g minor, 1st Movement (old version)

Piano Sonata in g minor, 1st Movement (new version 11-17)
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 11-17-2006 at 07:46 PM. Reason: new version posted
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: 1st Movement, Piano Sonata in g minor

Trent,

I am sitting here in awe listening to this. You certainly have a gift for writing in the style of Beethoven. I am not versed in formal composition to make any suggestions in it form or style. But I certainly look forward to the day when I hear the other movements.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hi Gary. Thanks for listening and for your kind comments.

I think it helps that I used a few Beethoven-like motifs, but I think I left the style a bit here and there. It was fun to write and hopefully the inspiration will carry me through at least 2 more movements.

Thanks again for listening.
    Trent P. McDonald

A lot of Ludwig in this; but a lot of Trent, too, I think.

Some very fine, energetic motivic writing and drive in
    this -- it shows a great deal of promise.

Keep it coming, Trent! I'm looking forward to hearing
    how this comes along after you give it a shine and polish!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Trent,
    This definately rocks with Herr Ludwig from beginning to end. Great writing here. To answer your questions, keep the intro and add at least a short coda. The tempo in the intro though, should be much broader. Loved this.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    A lot of Ludwig in this; but a lot of Trent, too, I think.
    Yes David, a lot of Trent, which is why I said "inspired by" rather than "in the style of".

The last few days I've been experimenting with some different themes for a slow movement so I haven't done too much to polish this up yet. I do have some ideas in mind...

Thanks for listening and for your comments. I have no idea how you can listen to so much of the music that's posted here and yet seem to have such insight into everything you hear.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Trent,
    This definately rocks with Herr Ludwig from beginning to end. Great writing here. To answer your questions, keep the intro and add at least a short coda. The tempo in the intro though, should be much broader. Loved this.
    Bill
    Thanks Bill. I think I will write a short coda. I came up with a few ideas that I want to try. I will also try your suggestion of making the intro broader.

Thanks for listening and for your comments and suggestions.
    Trent P. McDonald

Difficult. Leave out the first few bars (slow). Start with a fierce chord or a series of chords (one or two bars). Maintain that first part (faster) with all your switching between right and left hand. Work it thru to a variation without changing the key - not yet.

When you made this variation go a bit slower and change to that other key you used. Make that particular part a bit less forte and cantabile. Repeat that second theme in the new key. Maybe you can introduce a third key as a transito key.

Then go back to the original motif, you already did, but in the transposed key and work your way down to the original key (G-minor).

In G-minor repeat the altered motif you started at the beginning after the intro of that forte and fast sentence and work your way down to a new variation of it to end it with a climax.

It certainly has potential. The switching of the themes in the right and left hand are very good. It has speed.

Beethoven?....maybe the second sonata... but completely yours!

Raymond

Hi Raymond.

You are right - it is much more me than Beethoven, which is why I used the term “inspired”. And you are right again – I had recently listened to the Op. 2 no.1 sonata when the theme for this popped into my head.

You made some very good suggestions. I may experiment a little with some of them to see what I come up with.

Thanks for listening and for your comments and suggestions.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum