• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fantasy video game trailer music

Share/Bookmark

Fantasy video game trailer music

Hi everyone. I recently wrote my first piece of music using a full orchestra: http://www.fullmotionaudio.com/music...nski-Score.mp3

I'd love to get any feedback on the composition and the programming. I've had GPO for a few years, but I've only used it for strings or other instruments in pop songs. Thanks for listening!

Re: Fantasy video game trailer music

I'm not a gamer and I don't see many movies but I think what you are doing sounds quite effective with good musical ideas.

Phil.

Other than sounding very delicate, which is good game style music, I think a few balance issues should be worked out. Too much violin when they enter. Perhaps a slure mark over the string parts, or try MIDI code ~C68,60 ish maybe ~C68,67. There's just too much articulation in my opinion. Love the ostinato. With the violin entrance, try a niente to mf crescendo. I also feel like the chord at the 3rd measure of the flute solo would move easier to the listener if it were an F 6/4 half note to a C. Experiment with the chordal structure, but try to keep it diatonic. Sounds good other than a few details. Very nice.

I forgot to mention how much I love the ending to this. Its very desert like to me for some reason.

http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=89038

(My attempt at some game style music. Obviously it's very small and simple.)

Nice work, it definitely has a fantastical feel to it. I would agree that perhaps a bit more legato and dynamics in the strings would make a great improvement... but many of my own pieces need that too. Is that a guitar at the beginning? What an awesome sound. I look forward to hearing more of your work, keep it up!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to try to smooth out the strings on the intro. I guess I was focused on the impact of what was happening on screen with the video, but it doesn't sound as smooth as it could.

Sean - the instrument in the beginning (and at the very end) is a santoor from RA.

Quote Originally Posted by underthegroove
    Sean - the instrument in the beginning (and at the very end) is a santoor from RA.
    Ah... a nice touch! It has a great sound.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Very effective, interesting writing in this.

With the comments by Ben (tubajedimr), I'd suggest a little
    more work on getting dynamic balances, articulations, phrasing,
    and entries under somewhat better control.

Keep it coming, PJ!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks for all the feedback. I went through and tried to work on the articulations some more to smooth out the feel. I'm still trying to get the hang of the best approach to handle the instruments. I've posted the revised version now: http://www.fullmotionaudio.com/music...nski-Score.mp3

Go Back to forum