• Register
  • Help

Topic: would my computer be powerful enough to run giga?

Share/Bookmark

would my computer be powerful enough to run giga?

Hello gentlemen

I've been considering the idea to get a gigastudio system to add to my studio

I currently have two computers, one running protools and the other running logic 7.2 with a lot of virtual instruments, etc

Now I have in my house a compaq computer with a 2.4 ghz p4 processor

assuming that i max put the ram memory to 2 gigs and buy a fast hard drive
    for the samples,will this computer be powerfull enough to run giga in stand alone mode?

Im just trying to save the money of a new computer and use it on buying sounds and library.

Could somebody tell me if this is possible?

I read the requirements on the website, but i was hoping somebody on a real life situation could tell me

thanks

Re: would my computer be powerful enough to run giga?

Hey dhg,

That will work fine. Your processor may not be powerful enough to use a lot of gigapulse (GS3's native convolution plug), but the difference wouldn't be worth gettig a new machine if all you want is sampling power. I'd say, "Go for it!".

Belbin

I guess I could always upgrade the processor, I saw a p4 3.4 ghz for 199 on the internet

but again, Im just concerned mainly on the ability to play samples , cause I can always use one of my plugins on my pt rig, or one of my 2 system 6000

thanks a lot for your answer
    I used to be insecure....now im not really sure

Quote Originally Posted by dhgmusic
    Hello gentlemen

I've been considering the idea to get a gigastudio system to add to my studio

I currently have two computers, one running protools and the other running logic 7.2 with a lot of virtual instruments, etc

Now I have in my house a compaq computer with a 2.4 ghz p4 processor

assuming that i max put the ram memory to 2 gigs and buy a fast hard drive
    for the samples,will this computer be powerfull enough to run giga in stand alone mode?

Im just trying to save the money of a new computer and use it on buying sounds and library.

Could somebody tell me if this is possible?

I read the requirements on the website, but i was hoping somebody on a real life situation could tell me

thanks
    Sorry to disappoint; I tried this and it didn't work, see my specs at the bottom of this reply. see my post in another thread.

Cheers

Owen
    GIGA ORCHESTRA 3.21
    DAW ONE: CPU: 3.4GHz; RAM: 2 GIGS DDR400; Mobo P4 GIGABYTE ;80GIG IDE HD;2 X WD SATA HD Raptors 10KRPM 74GIG in RAID 0;
    M Audio Firewire 410; Midisport 8X8

Hauptwerk V3
    DAW TWO: CPU: 2.4 GHz Dual Core; RAM 4 gigs DDR2533: MOBO Asrock ConRoeFirex - eSATA2; 2 x SATA 80 GIG, HDs; M Audio Delta 1010 and a Delta 1010LT, soundcards; MOTU Express 128 i/f

Go Back to forum