• Register
  • Help

Topic: New machine for GS3

Share/Bookmark

New machine for GS3

Need help buying a machine to run GS3. I am considering a Gateway machine with the AMD 4200+ and SATA II HD, 2 GB RAM. Would this setup work? I read that the Intel core 2 duo chips are not stable. Is this true?Also, could someone expand on the SATA II spec? I am a liitle confused about some of the problems people are having with GS3. At $129, I would like to get GS3 up and running.

thanks, Kevin

Re: New machine for GS3

c'mon, not one of you guys can steer my in the right direction and help avoid the pitfalls???? What kind of forum is this????

Quote Originally Posted by ksluder
    What kind of forum is this????
    In general, a very polite one. Kindly keep that in mind.

In your first post here ever, you asked a series of open-ended questions, including two questions regarding computer hardware that have almost certainly been covered in greater detail in computer hardware-related fora.

If you stop and think about it, you will realize that each of your questions would require extremely lengthy, detailed responses ("expand" on the SATA II spec, eh?) (the "problems" faced by Giga users?). Yet here you are, one day later, questioning the forum's virtue for not having already provided the sort of lengthy, detailed responses that your questions necessitate...

If you stop and think about it a little further, you should realize that many if not all of your questions have already been discussed here. Try using the "search" feature and read through the forum's archives. Doing so will not only bring you up-to-date on the forum's prior coverage of your topics-of-interest, but it will also help you streamline your questions... which will, turn, make answering them a more manageable task for the folks here who try to be helpful to those considerate enough to minimize the breadth and scope (and haste) of their demands.
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude. I had been watching my two year daughter for eight hours while the wife was out on a shopping spree! Must have been a little stressed. I realize there are a number of issues I am trying to understand. The time has come for a new PC, and an opportunity to get GS3 for a good price. I did read quite a few threads and found some very useful info in one concerning successful GS3 platforms. Best Buy has an HP machine with a 5000 AMD processor that looks attractive($1300) with a 19 in monitor. I'll be using the piano by itself for now, but would like the option of doing additional tracks to playback with the piano later. Had an earlier version of Gigasampler a few years back, worked great on the PC I had then.
    Looking foward to getting GS3 going. Thanks for the reply and any help is greatly appreciated.

KS

Hi again ,

What are you looking to do with the sample player?

And how much money have you got for your own little shopping spree?

If you're just looking to load up lots and lots of different instruments, or even-just-a-few really big instruments (e.g., SampleTekk piano libs), you may be better off getting GVI and a VST convolution reverb.

If you're thinking about getting knee-deep in your sample libs, doing editing/filtering-type stuff, then you may be better off with GS3. Of course, if you get GS3, the upgrade to GVI is relatively cheap...

I can't help you with the SATA stuff, although I know that others have written about it here.

GS3 "problems" tend to stem from one of two things: (i) trying to run versions earlier than 3.12 on dual-core processors, and (ii) making GS3 share the computer with other apps. Although it is not required that GS3 have its own machine, and there are people on this and other fora who run GS3 successfully on the same computer as their "day-to-day" apps, GS3 really does want its own machine and can be extremely finicky (look for discussion regarding "kernel mode" for more details) if it has to share the computer with anything other than, say, your DAW application (e.g., Cubase)...

If you go the GS3 route, understand that everything may go smoothly from the very start but you should at least be prepared to do some serious hardware/software conflict-checking/troubleshooting/etc., in the event that things don't work out smoothly from the get-go.

There are threads here and on the VSL forum regarding systems "known" to work. I put the word "known" in scare quotes because seemingly-identical computers have been known ("known"?) to behave idiosyncratically... things as small as updated drivers, differing Windows tweaks, different sound cards, etc., can distinguish your machine from someone else's...

Also look at TASCAM's Giga support site, http://tascamgiga.com/support.html, where you will find, among other things, a link to the official list of compatible hardware... if you get GS3 you will need a GSIF-compliant sound card.

Finally, you should also check out the "Learn GigaStudio" site that is run by sample developer Larry Seyer, and that is frequented by TASCAM folks. This is true regardless of whether you decide to go for GS3 or GVI.
    — alanb

I've always thought the GS piano samples were great sounding. I was hoping that GS3 would allow me to have the great piano sound plus the ability to do multi track recording. All this for the low price of $129?? I am ready to buy the PC mentioned earlier. I have an Echo Mia card from my previous setup that I believe will work with the new system. To answer the question of how much I have to spend, about $2K.

I'm really just trying to get a great sounding piano with the ability to record and playback multiple tracks(eventually). Of course, I'd like to dig into the program and create some of my own sounds and explore all things Giga. The only negative things are that the PC will have to have other applications on it.
    Office, internet, etc. I will heed your warning about this.

I'll have the new machine in a couple of weeks, and will order GS3 soon. I'll report back on how its going then. Thanks for your time, most helpful.

KS

I was hoping that GS3 would allow me to have the great piano sound plus the ability to do multi track recording.

[...]

I'm really just trying to get a great sounding piano with the ability to record and playback multiple tracks(eventually).
    To do multi-track recording, you will (AFAIK) need a separate program. For example, I use Cubase to build MIDI sequences, to use those sequences to drive the samples that I've pre-loaded in Giga, and to "record" the resulting music as audio (.wav) files.

Do you already have such a sequencing/recording ("DAW"=Digital Audio Workstation) program?
    — alanb

Need help buying a machine to run GS3. I am considering a Gateway machine with the AMD 4200+ and SATA II HD, 2 GB RAM. Would this setup work? I read that the Intel core 2 duo chips are not stable. Is this true?Also, could someone expand on the SATA II spec? I am a liitle confused about some of the problems people are having with GS3. At $129, I would like to get GS3 up and running.

thanks, Kevin
    I have several PCs running GigaOrchestra 3.2 (new version IMC more stable).

Just a few points:
    (I can only speak for myself and the experiences I have gone through in an effort to build a stable system)

Try to avoid M/bs with a lot of built on audio and graphics functions; These conveniences can actually introduce potential conflicts with recording specific audio cards and make the process of disabling them for troubleshooting somewhat a chore.

Intel chipsets have proven to be more stable.

PCI buss speed, as fast as you can afford; there are some really fast ones out there now.

AMD and INTEL processors , a large cache is a bonus.

SATA hard drives 7200rpm for the programs and 2 Western Digital HD 10,000 rpm 36 Gigs in a RAID 0 array. IDE drives not the best for sampling.

At least two gigs of DDR2 RAM.

Windows XP Pro to run the RAID array and programs. Do a custom install, don't install programs not related to audio recording; such as Accessories;Address Book, Communications, desktop themes. Tweek the system. TASCAM has a wrapup on this on their website.
    No Nortons or Nero, Outlook Express.

Don't try to adjust the faders with automation with the controller input active, your system will crash.

AGP graphics card not PCI, you want the PCI buss to be as free as possible.

A good power supply with plenty of grunt, plan ahead for future hardware.

A good Multi i/o sound card; I use an M-Audio 1010 and 2 Firewire 410s

Dedicate your system to the job of being your Digital Analog Workstation.

Use a separate PC for your Internet and other stuff.

You will be looking at around $2,500 AUD for a good system.

The cheap way is many BSOD, that will drive you mad.

There is a learning curve with a fair bit of reading, but it is worth it in the long run

Have Fun
    GIGA ORCHESTRA 3.21
    DAW ONE: CPU: 3.4GHz; RAM: 2 GIGS DDR400; Mobo P4 GIGABYTE ;80GIG IDE HD;2 X WD SATA HD Raptors 10KRPM 74GIG in RAID 0;
    M Audio Firewire 410; Midisport 8X8

Hauptwerk V3
    DAW TWO: CPU: 2.4 GHz Dual Core; RAM 4 gigs DDR2533: MOBO Asrock ConRoeFirex - eSATA2; 2 x SATA 80 GIG, HDs; M Audio Delta 1010 and a Delta 1010LT, soundcards; MOTU Express 128 i/f

Go Back to forum