• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Stereo System for iPod advice

Share/Bookmark

Question OT: Stereo System for iPod advice

Some advice would be greatly appreciated:

My girlfriend is getting rid of her old receiver/tapedeck/CD player system and is porting all of her CDs over to iTunes and her iPod. As part of the changeover, she wants to get a new stereo system to hook the iPod up to, and also wants some remote speakers hooked up to the same system (to put in the kitchen and bedroom).

What's amazing is that with as much as I know about music technology, I know very little about consumer home stereo systems. Years of apartment living have made me a headphones/car music listener! So I've been doing research, and I've figured out I don't necessarily need a system built FOR the iPod, but I will want something compatible. I've been overwhelmed by the options out there, so I'd appreciate some advice or recommendations.

My girlfriend's rules are:

1. Must be of good sound quality, but doesn't need to be any kind of super hi-fi system (she told me to tell you guys she's "a layperson, not a musician").

2. The main speakers must be powerful enough to fill a couple rooms, but not so thumpingly loud as to annoy the neighbors in the condo below.

3. The system must be compact and colored white or silver- minimalist design is best. You know how girlfriends/wives are. *sigh*

4. Her budget is around $500.

I realize I could get one of those systems custom built for iPods, but they tend to get bad reviews and have too compact speakers for our purposes. Any help from you audiophiles would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks-------

Re: OT: Stereo System for iPod advice

Thanks for the advice, Lee. Nope, there's not really a TV in the room- it's a study with a computer and file cabinets otherwise, but it's where we typically keep the music stuff as well.

I'll try the big boxes. I've been reluctant because the employees at those places tend to know even less than I do about this stuff. But I'll let my ears be my guide.

Any other recommendations? I was hoping one of you guys would have a setup similar to what I'm looking for. I've spent hundreds on sample libraries due in part to recommendations from you guys, so I value your opinions!

i work in high end audio,so the solutions i will recommend are a bit more $$ but sound pretty good(not trying to make a sale!)JM Lab{Focal)has a Ipod model in the Sib Cub line, 2 sat speaker w/ sub (no option for 2nds set of speakers) but this sounds good ,another unit the name fails me (i will post later) is a tube amp w/ 2 bookshelf speakers (pretty cool but again no second speaker option and about $1k)............you can just get a integrated amp w 2 speaker outputs and a couple of pairs of speakers and hook ipod in...but realise budget will limit quality as well ,a decent speaker(x2) and amp will cost a bit more$ than the budget you want to stay in............and remember if you load ipod w/ mp3's sound will be limited as well
    2.7 G5(PPC) 6.5 gig ram,10.48. DP5.12 ,
    FF800, NI,EW,IK VI's ,synths.. etc... Vdrums, Akai Z8 ,XP30 , Focal Twin 6 monitors
    UAD1w/Magma,TC PoCo/pci,
    Shunyata Powercords/Conditioners,Richard Gray....numerous harddrives Firmtek box(esata),& 2nd fw buss

Thanks for the advice, kgdrum. I make sure my girlfriend converts to Apple lossless, not MP3- the quality is uber better.

Focal unit retails for $1175.....tube unit is called Sonic Integrity
    2.7 G5(PPC) 6.5 gig ram,10.48. DP5.12 ,
    FF800, NI,EW,IK VI's ,synths.. etc... Vdrums, Akai Z8 ,XP30 , Focal Twin 6 monitors
    UAD1w/Magma,TC PoCo/pci,
    Shunyata Powercords/Conditioners,Richard Gray....numerous harddrives Firmtek box(esata),& 2nd fw buss

I like the Altec Lansing inMotion iM7.
    Its the perfect boombox for the ipod and comes in apple white.
    You cant use any skin on the ipod because it wont fit in the slot with a skin on but other than that its brilliant.
    comes with a remote control and lots of low end

Hans

You may consider getting really good computer speakers and hook the iPod to it, or use iTunes. Check out these:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/det...media-4-2.aspx

I have the 4.1 and the 2.1 ProMedia's and they kick ~~~~~! I love the sound and they have a ton of power. If you don't have support for 4.2 sound you can use a stereo to two stereo splitter hookup the extra speakers.

There are lots of variations in the sections, depending on what you are trying to achieve. Look at Earth, Wind and Fire's section, or Tower of Power for arrangements and see what sounds closest to what you are trying to achieve. For me, I usually use 2 trumpets, 1 or 2 bones - usually 1, 1 Tenor, 1 Alto and 1 Bari, if i want that foundation in the low end. It all comes down to how you voice them. I use Kick ~~~~~ Brass which sounds fairly good, but not easy to work with and a bit expensive for what you get. If it's just unison/octaves for a brighter sound kill the tenor and bari. If you want chordal parts and a fuller sound use them all.

I've never been a big bose fan, but their ipod layer really does sound good, and it will fill a large area. I believe it's $299.

Go Back to forum