• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help with loading demo .cwp files

Share/Bookmark

Help with loading demo .cwp files

I installed the JABB Garritan .dll in the SONAR 5 VST folder, ran the vst wizard, and SONAR 5 found "Garritan Jazz VST". The demo .cwp files will not load properly. A "plug-ins can not be found" message pops up. The .cwp file opens without loading any instruments. I end up needing to manually load the instruments and try to make sense of the custom user busing assignments. Buses and signal routing in SONAR can get extremely complex and hard to figure out, especially when it is someone elses files. That is why the .cwp files need to open without a glitch whatsoever.

Either something is wrong with the .cwp files, or my SONAR 5 is not configured properly. My self-created .cwp files load everything just fine. I should be able to open any .cwp file, click play, and enjoy music!

Help with loading demo .cwp files into SONAR 5 would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Help with loading demo .cwp files

Chet,

In my post for the Sonar files I stated:

"Sonar has a problem with file exchanges where the files include virtual instrument plugins. Pathways rarely translate between systems. With the more complex demo mixes this is a real problem because the configuration and use of advanced Sonar tools are inseparable from the final results. Very few systems will correctly load the JABB instances. This means that it is up to the user to reconstruct all instrument loads and assignments – not fun. By the way, this is a Sonar problem, not a JABB problem, and Cakewalk is aware of it. A fix should be in the works."

This is a Sonar 5 (and earlier) issue. It appears to be fixed in Sonar 6. At least a few recent reports seem to support this. In Sonar 5 the only alternative is tedious rebuilding of all pathways by replacing the expected JABB plugins with the ones on your machine. I've done it before - it will give you a migraine. You can kiss hours goodbye, and even then, not all of the information for configuring your JABB instruments is obvious or even available. I'm glad they appear to have fixed this one in Sonar 6.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Chet,

In Sonar 5 the only alternative is tedious rebuilding of all pathways by replacing the expected JABB plugins with the ones on your machine. I've done it before - it will give you a migraine. You can kiss hours goodbye, and even then, not all of the information for configuring your JABB instruments is obvious or even available. I'm glad they appear to have fixed this one in Sonar 6.

Tom
    Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the comment, "not all of the information for configuring your JABB instruments is obvious or even available", do you mean to say that it will be a guessing game regarding the signal path between tracks, sends, and buses...or will other information get lost in the translation.

I must say, the way you and Gary Lindsay use buses and effects is quite advanced.

A tall request. Perhaps someday you could post a visual blow by blow of how to reconstruct one of your awesome demos using SONAR 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Chet Heflin
    Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the comment, "not all of the information for configuring your JABB instruments is obvious or even available", do you mean to say that it will be a guessing game regarding the signal path between tracks, sends, and buses...or will other information get lost in the translation.
    Any information that is specific to the configuration of each JABB instance is difficult to decipher (e.g. Things where you could use track routing information to reverse engineer.) On the other hand, any non-default instrument settings of the player knobs are lost information without a score card (or a group of detailed screenshots.) Had I known at the time of creating the demos that a problem existed exchanging files then I would have taken a different approach that would have included all player information as actual track data - but the Sonar problem didn't surface until much later. Actually, screenshots are something I could supply if I can find the time to create them. Eventually, I intend to use these demos for video tutorial material.

I must say, the way you and Gary Lindsay use buses and effects is quite advanced.
    Gary Lindsay is blameless. I used examples from Gary's book Jazz Arranging Techniques for some of the demos. He was kind enough to give us permission to use the material in the book and I did the MIDI realizations. Again, I plan to include advanced mixing techniques in some of the tutorials. Mixing techniques can actually get more advanced than these demos but I had a very limited amount of time to spend creating them. I have no doubt that when I create the tutorials I will find many (I hope small) errors in the hastily done demos and will correct same. I will also explore additional possibilities.

A tall request. Perhaps someday you could post a visual blow by blow of how to reconstruct one of your awesome demos using SONAR 5.
    The tutorials will almost certainly be done in Sonar 6 to take advantage of the latest features but most of the information will be applicable to Sonar 5.

Tom

Tom - Thanks for the reply. I look forward to your tutorials and will most certainly upgrade to SONAR 6.

I own the video tutorial of both SONAR 5 CSi STARTER and SONAR 5 CSi MASTER.

A video tutorial of JABB would be very cool. I don't know if it is possible or practical, but I would be the first to purchase such a product. - Chet

Go Back to forum