• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Recommend recorders?

Share/Bookmark

Recommend recorders?

Hey all,

I am looking for a good recorder sample library.

I am thinking maybe Sampletekk Renaissance Flutes, but they might be a bit too "classical" for what I am looking for.

I am hoping for something more "folk" and earthy.

Do you think that I could get away with using the Sampletekk library or can you suggest something else that might be more appropriate?

Regards,

Ben H

Re: Recommend recorders?

Thanks for you reply, but I am actually a sax/wx5 player and was hoping to add some recorder sounds to my rig.

I could probably just play the recorders, but I don't want something extra to carry around (especially 5 of them).

I do agree though that learning to play the real thing has merit though.

Ben H

SampleTek has a library that sounded pretty good from the demos.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    SampleTek has a library that sounded pretty good from the demos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H
    I am thinking maybe Sampletekk Renaissance Flutes, but they might be a bit too "classical" for what I am looking for.

I am hoping for something more "folk" and earthy.
    Thanks Nick

Anyone know of anything else?

Ben H

Early Patches and Banchetto Musicale have a bunch of recorders.

http://www.dausenkunz.de/

There are quite a few user demos on the site, so you can get an idea of whether they're 'folky' enough.

Lightbulb Re: Recommend recorders?

I've both Sampletekk Recorders and Early patches, but all are quite real and quite close to the live recorder sound: it is what you find "too classical".

My suspect is that the sound you are looking for is not a recorder, but some kind of ethnic flute, with more "folk and earthy" noisy and less tuned sound.

Very good ethnic or rare instruments libraries are on the market, but just for a flute, it seems to me quite expensive buying a library...

By another point of view, if you buy an ethnic library you will find several new imputs for your music (other winds, but strings, and percussions).

Yes I do want recorders, but less "sterile" and more raw and organic. (Not necessarily out-of-tune though).

There doesn't seem to be too many options available though.

Smile Re: Recommend recorders?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben H
    Yes I do want recorders, but less "sterile" and more raw and organic. (Not necessarily out-of-tune though).

There doesn't seem to be too many options available though.
    I'm sorry Sir, you didn't find useful my suggestion.
    Far from my will starting a "sterile" discussion about flute sound, but even if I'm a recorder (and oboe and cornetto) player, I can't understand what are you talking about:
    somebody "less classical" than me maybe should help you if you post a real sample of the sound you are looking for (a short excerpt from your favorite tune featuring this "raw and organic recorder").

Good look: but if you can't find it, maybe you can make it starting from existing unexpensive recorders libraries, with sampler parameters and audio manipulation (if it's in your skills/time/pleasure rate balance).

Westgate Studios has a few recorders in the Woodwind Collection v 1.0 & Woodwind Collection - Expanded Edition. You would have to buy a lot more to get those, though.

Thanks Fabio, but I don't think I am making myself clear. What I am hoping for is a less sterile and perfect sound.

I want a flutey/ethnic wind sound but with a bit more breath and a bit more character than a classical recorder sound can provide.

Hmmm, it seems that nobody except Sampletekk does just recorders and I don't really want to buy a whole library just for a recorder sound.

Go Back to forum