• Register
  • Help

Topic: 1 mac pro (host), 1 pc (slave) question

Share/Bookmark

1 mac pro (host), 1 pc (slave) question

Hello everyone !
    I've took many hours trying to find answers to my questions, and I manage to understand a lot thanks to you !
    Here are still some unanswered questions for me.

As a big noob that I am, I would like to link my mac pro and my pc, I want to use logic 7.2 (arriving soon I've just ordered it) on the mac pro, and gigastudio 3 on my pc.

I just don't have much money since I've bought the macpro and 4gigs of Ram,
    so I want to reach the best solution.
    I saw that midioverlan was a good solution for midi transferts, it's quite expensive just for midi connection, but if it's the best and only solution, I'll do that.

Now the audio problem.

I have a Motu Ultralite for the macpro and only a m-audio delta 66 (no adat only spdif in/out).
    I was wondering if I plug my 2 soundcards via spdif is it enough or I'll be limited for something (I would like to play couple midi tracks together for little orchestral stuffs).
    I saw many people talking about adat 4 stereo channels,what's the difference with an spdif connection ?

What I would love to do is loading different articulation on gigastudio (let's say 16) and hear them playing together on my daw-macpro .

I may be a bit confusing, because everything is all new for me.

I just need to be sure of what I need to buy or not, thanks a lot !

Re: 1 mac pro (host), 1 pc (slave) question

No one ?

If you only need stereo outs from your PC rig, this is fine. However for my situation I needed more outputs for mixing and a much more complex setup..I use the Macpro Dual 3ghz running (3) Moto 2408 MkIII's and (3) Motu 128 8 Channel Midi boxes. This gives me 72 channels of I/O into the Mac and 384 channels of external MIDI channels. I then use (3) PC's each running an 8 channel midi box with Kontakt 2 and Gigastudio's with an RME FF800, Motu 828Mk2 and an RME Hammerfall DSP 24 Adat. Everything is clocked to my house sync. I am in a completely mixerless setup and I love it. I have everything setup on all the machines in a "Template" I use for Orchestrations. I have 250+ MIdi tracks set up in DP 5.1 and Cubase 4 all routing to the mixer inside the computer. So basically sit down a write! I know it is a crazy complex system not needed for most, but it wasn't difficult to set up, just a lot of time to setup the routing and templates. When working fast on multiple cues, it is quite the luxury to have everything at your fingertips at any given time.

I also have 72 channel of ADAT out of my (3) Motu 2408's routed to 72 Adat Inputs of my Protools HD Rig so I just arm tracks and record to Protools to do final mixes. It is amazing how quick I can write and record now.

What it comes down to is the amount of Instrument, Mix Outputs and Processing power you need.

Rob

Details Below...

BTW, you will have to Clock sync the Motu card to the SPDIF input of the Delta. Probably not the most stable clock but should work and avoid Digital Pops.

Rob

Hey Lixir,

check out this link:

http://emusician.com/daw/emusic_stud...ten/index.html

Scroll down the article until you come to the Mac/PC Hybrid. The author does a great job of laying out the gear and what's needed and why.

I too have a hybrid setup, though less sophisticated than Stomps. My pc and mac are connected by way of a MOTU MIDI express 128 and a Frontier Designs Sierra (8 channels of MIDI each). I have several templates in Giga on my PC which I load depending on the performance required. I run 8 channels of ADAT out from a Dakota on my PC to a 2408 mkII and 828 on my MAC - works perfectly. All mixing is done internally on my Mac running Digital Performer.

Best of luck to you,

MCK

Go Back to forum