• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Fantasia on "A Mighty Fortress" for Sax Quartet

Share/Bookmark

Fantasia on "A Mighty Fortress" for Sax Quartet

This is another arrangement I wrote for the WSaxQ (www.wsaxq.com), based on J. S. Bach's fantasia on the hymn tune "Ein Feste Burg" (A Mighty Fortress). The work, BWV 720, originally set for organ, here is transcribed for saxophone SATB quartet. I selected the JABB saxes with a less "jazzy" quality for this rendering.

Part of the challange in this work was transcribing the voices in such a way as to keep them in their playable range. At one point the alto sax plays in close harmony with the soprano sax at the dizzy altitude of F# an octave above the treble staff . No problem for the professionals I am told.

The score and this playback was produced using Finale 2006 with only the addition of the vibrato control marks added to it. I used the following from the JABB library for this rendering;

JABB: Soprano Sax 2, Alto Sax 1, Tenor Sax 1 and Baritone Sax 2

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/EinF...SaxQuartet.mp3

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Fantasia on "A Mighty Fortress" for Sax Quartet

Hi Gary,

Having heard some excerpts from the WSaxQ (thanks again for the link!) , I am imagining them playing this as I listen to your arrangement. I am sure it will be quite sublime!

As far as the F# for alto, you're right -that shouldn't be a problem for them, or any pro, for that matter. It is high, though

Nice work!

Regards,

Jim
    RealSax.com "When you need real sax in your tracks."
    http://www.realsax.com

Nice job on this, Gary. I enjoyed listening.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Gary:

How very enjoyable......Of course, I am a Bach lover, but your adaptation of this piece, with its instrumentation, kept me immensely interested all the way through.

Also, very clear parts. Just a great rendition, Gary.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hi Gary,

Really nice job on the realization and rendering of this piece. You did a great job of getting the "jazzers" from the JABB saxes to perform this in a credible idiomatic manner. I definitely enjoyed listening... thanks for the post!

Danny

What fun, Gary---This is the new sort of experimenting that GPO and computer recording should inspire more often. I had a wonderful time listening, thank you.

rbowser

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Hi Gary,

Having heard some excerpts from the WSaxQ (thanks again for the link!) , I am imagining them playing this as I listen to your arrangement. I am sure it will be quite sublime!

Nice work!

Regards,

Jim
    Jim thanks for your comments. Glad you enjoyed the samples at their site. As you heard there, their organ-like quality is quite different from my rendering with the JABB instruments. Perhaps the forthcoming band library will have more mellow saxes.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Nice job on this, Gary. I enjoyed listening.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks for stopping by. I am glad that you enjoyed it.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Gary:

How very enjoyable......Of course, I am a Bach lover, but your adaptation of this piece, with its instrumentation, kept me immensely interested all the way through.

Also, very clear parts. Just a great rendition, Gary.

Jack
    Thanks for your kind comments. I am glad that a Bach lover found this piece to his liking. It is interesting to note with Bach how his music works well across such a span of unusual and unexpected insturment combinations. Each time I listen to the same work again, I always hear something slightly different about it. And the GPO/JABB libraries make such experimentation possible and easy to try.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Gary this is such a nice piece! Fantastic that you have a live performance out of the gate. I love the sound of a classic sax ensemble. From the samples on their site I can just imagine how wonderful this is going sound. Really great writing here.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast