• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano Concerto nr.1 part 1

Share/Bookmark

Piano Concerto nr.1 part 1

Finally finished. In the stone age I uploaded another part 1, but that part has become the second [after not yet finished revisions].

This one must be it.

For fast internet : PianoConcerto fast
    For slow internet: PianoConcerto slow

At least, I hope I didn't mix up the URL's.

I am not changing any single note, after three months hard work with the composition, Sonar, Adobe audition, this must be it.

The piano: Steinberg The Grand 2 model 2. The rest is Garritan, blood, sweat and tears..... in the meantime my computer broke down, but all musical files are subject to backup upon another HD.

Hope you enjoy this. Later I will write an explanation of how I did things. For now I think I need a drink.

Raymond
    [don't turn up the volume slider too much, mind your precious ears!!]

Re: Piano Concerto nr.1 part 1

Raymond62:

An exciting, well written composition--full of virtuosic passages and well-planned orchestral interchanges.

A really great piece Raymond. Enjoyed listening to this immensely. The Steinberg piano sounds great, but the GPO orchestra really shines under your baton.

At about 6 min., I heard a pronounced "machine-gun" effect on a piano trill. Maybe that could be addressed with velocity changes, or something. The rest is magnificent.

BRAVO, Raymond

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Nice work, Raymond!

The opening was fantastic!.. very engaging.

Its difficult to find a distinct influence for this work... Although I can detect hints of numerous styles.

What was your inspiration?

Very unique work.

Terrific !

~Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    ....Although I can detect hints of numerous styles. ..What was your inspiration?
    A friend of mine heard the draft version (only synthesizer sounds) and told me the following:

- the trills are Beethoven (I didn't agree)
    - the form and virtuosity is Tchaikowsky
    - the chords and special harmonic effects are Raymond's (that's me)
    - the midsection looks like Mendelssohn
    - the violins solo parts are a bit late Romantic (or even Baroque)
    - the timing and speed are Prokofiev

So... my inspiration? Everything I've heard in the past 62 years.

Thanks for the compliments and I'll have a look at that machine-gun,

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    At about 6 min., I heard a pronounced "machine-gun" effect on a piano trill. Maybe that could be addressed with velocity changes, or something. The rest is magnificent.
    Yes, you are right. I will have a look at it. Thinking that piece of hardware needs oil.....

See my other (previous) reply....and thank you for the compliments,

Raymond

Some powerful, engaging virtuosic piano writing in
    this, Raymond! But beyond the fireworks and the
    waterfalls, I also admired the well built undercarriage
    of this work, and the thematic dialogues and
    development in the orchestra.

May I hope you find live performance of this piece,
    Raymond, to do it proper justice!

With best regards,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    At about 6 min., I heard a pronounced "machine-gun" effect on a piano trill. Maybe that could be addressed with velocity changes, or something.
    I had a look at it and found out that the trill has the same velocity for all notes. I introduced some veloc. changes to the individual notes and raised/lowered the sequence where appropriate. I did that for more trills in the piece.

Also looked at the second lower voice of the right hand in that "cantabile" midsection and lowered the velocity according to what is common in real life. [I played this part a bit slower on my own piano and found out that the lower part of the right hand MUST be softer to give accents to the melody part].

Some phrases of the piano now have been altered velocity-wise, to accomodate the overall volume a bit better.

To my surprise [and I didn't notice this in the final mastering] the intended woodblock [played at two occasions] wasn't a woodblock at all. And looking into GPO, there wasn't a woodblock!! So I changed that to castanet [waiting for the woodblock coming available?!]

The triangle wasn't loud enough so I changed that too and some timpani rolls were changed [mainly damped] at the right moment.

General remark: when handling some critisism, wait a couple of hours/days before you alter it. The ears always get used to the sound you hear over and over again; giving room for errors. And after that "recuperation" of the ears start working on the critics you get. That's why all critics are so worthy, because outsiders hear the piece for the very first time and immediate spot some "mastering" errors.

Raymond:

Does your original mp3 reflect the changes you made? If so, I still hear a "machine gun" effect at about 6m. Maybe it is too loud which enhances this effect. If you didn't post a newer version, I would like to hear it.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thumbs up Re: Piano Concerto nr.1 part 1

To my ears the orchestra sounds sligthly less convincing than the piano, but the overall effect shows your intention.

I understand the huge amount of work! You are right: let it relax for a while, then go back and refine. The final result should be terrific, the piece is impressing. Bravo.

I won't comment on the rendering (it would sound much better live) but the piece is a torrent of energy and fun. I was riveted up to the end -which doesn't happen all that often these days!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast