• Register
  • Help

Topic: Jazz Trumpet/Sax

Share/Bookmark

Jazz Trumpet/Sax

Okay, I know we've been through this before, but where can I find a realistic flugel horn or mellow trumpet sound and a Joe Henderson sounding sax?

Re: Jazz Trumpet/Sax

If you ask for this,
    it's probably that you have accepted the fact that samples are samples, and that "realistic" means, "realistic as far as samples are concerned"....
    So let's hope that some other people will admit that too so that it won't end witht the old, worn-out, "you'll never fool anyone...." debate....
    ------
    On that basis, I can recommend Chris Hein Horns, which is a very versatile, friendly priced and kontakt based library :
    http://www.chrishein.net/sl_seiten/s...sl_chhsite.htm
    You have a few demos to get an idea about it.
    ---
    I know there also is a "KAB" library (Kick ...ss Brass out of memory), which is a non streaming vsti.
    Some people like it, personnaly the demos did not thrill me, and I do not have a link to it, so you'll have to google.
    ---
    That's all I can think of, at least in the less-than-3-years-old libraries....

I was a tumpet player myself for ten years in high school/college. I just did a design that required alot of jazz/latino fusion music. I've been traveling alot, so I was using my laptop to compose- which has East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Silver (not XP yet). And I've got to say I was surprised at the sweet, mellow tone that the solo trumpet patches have in there. I came up with this one piece that had (what I think might be) the mellow round, warm tone that you were talking about. To balance my own point of view, I did find that the patches were a little less flexible than I wanted, so I tweaked some of the envelopes and such, but I actually used some of these patches in the final mix, rather than trade them all out for the larger library sounds I have on my rig at home.

That said, I have listened to demos of most of the other jazz oriented libraries, and the only one that had demos that really started to fool me were the First Call Horns.

Good luck.

Mark

You might want to check out Garritan's Jazz and Big Band library. I think you'll be impressed with the demos.
    James G. Eakin III, DMA
    Composer-In-Residence,
    Turtle Creek Chorale
    Assistant Director-Film Scoring program,
    Aspen Music Festival & School
    www.jameseakin.com

Over a month ago, Fable Sounds said that they were going to make an announcment in a few weeks regarding their Broadway Big Band library, so they might be releasing it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark LaPierre
    That said, I have listened to demos of most of the other jazz oriented libraries, and the only one that had demos that really started to fool me were the First Call Horns.
    Right, especially the Trumpet-Samples of First-Call Horns are very well done, they sound good, have lots of playable variations.
    I like it.

Steffen

Perhaps, but the attacks still sound unrealistic to me.

Go Back to forum