• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wandering on Dusky Plains

Share/Bookmark

Wandering on Dusky Plains

Turns out this IS my thesis piece and I am finishing up the paper on it right now!

I even exported the Finale MIDI into Logic Express to clean up an tweak the performance, so maybe it will even pass the litmus test of the audiophiles in this forum! haha

The instrumentation is (all GPO save the percussion):

Alto Flute
    Clarinet in Bb
    Bassoon
    Horn in F
    Tuba
    3 percussionists
    Violin 1
    Violin 2
    Viola
    Violoncello
    Enjoy!

I. The Groove
    Ii. Air
    Iii. Dreams of Debussy
    Iv. Air II
    V. Tocatta
    Vi. Soundscape
    Vii. Coda
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Cool Re: Wandering on Dusky Plains

Hi Jess,

welcome back! You were a talented student, and this composition is another evidence that you still are. Probably it's not the cup of tea of most forum users... I know you know and you don't worry...

Good luck for the thesis.

Fabio

P.S. Toccata is written with 2 "c" and 1 "t"
    yes, for me Italian musical words are a little easier.

Re: Wandering on Dusky Plains

Jess, it's late, I'm whipped, and I'll keep
    this short:

Bravo!

An excellent suite worth every moment spent
    listening to it. You're one of our best technical
    writers, no question of it; but it goes well
    beyond that, of course... your writing is ever
    a journey within that delights and satisfies.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks folksies.

This has definately made the Portfolio I am sending out for my Doctoral School apps in the next week or so. Now all I have to do is round up some players here at UT Knoxville to play it at our composer's concert late next semester.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Probably it's not the cup of tea of most forum users
    Hi Jess,

That may be true for some - but I can get well into this! And that's because the music remains atmospheric and harmonic - it's never unpleasant.

This reminds me a little of Olivier Messian (spelt that wrong I know!) - it has a kind of spiritual quality if you really engage with it. You have to tune in.

It's getting late here - but I'm looking forward to returning to this tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing - and good luck.

Regards, Graham

Thanks! I actually used a different technique for every movement. And even the one using pitch-set I was trying to avoid the extremely dissonant sounds that are usually standard with that type of writing.

It was lots of fun to compose and will probably be just as fun to write a 30 page paper about.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

This is one of the most beautiful GPO sequences I've heard. It's so well rendered, really does the music justice. It's very good work. I picked and chose the movements, but I'm definately giong to listen to them more later on. I especially like the last movement, me being a brass player. Very nice. This is no doubt one of the best compositions this forum will probably see. And well deserved.

This will be a musician's delight in performance.

Jess,
    I absolutely love this music! Excellent job!
    You mentioned that you were going to be analysing similar pieces for your thesis...what would those be? I'd really like to listen to more like this.
    Orbit

Quote Originally Posted by orbit_over_luna
    Jess,
    I absolutely love this music! Excellent job!
    You mentioned that you were going to be analysing similar pieces for your thesis...what would those be? I'd really like to listen to more like this.
    Orbit
    I will be looking at a similar piece suggested by my prof, but I can't remember the name at the moment. (or the composer)

I think I will also be looking at more Joseph Scwantner (sp?) He was the composition chair at Eastman. His music is known for its rythmic drive and the idea of creating new sounds as opposed to the typical harmony driven idea. The really great thing about Schwantner is that the music sounds really pleasant. He doesn't try to shock people, but instead give them new things to hear.

The main thing is checking out more mid-size ensemble pieces. That is something that is become very "in" nowadays. My idea here was straight up to take an unusual combo of instruments, but to keep it balanced. I will likely be writing more in this idiom, but my one act opera is coming first. And it is going to be hard to do. lol
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum