• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - External HD for samples streaming

Share/Bookmark

Question OT - External HD for samples streaming

Hi,

I'm looking for a effective extra-fast external HD for samples streaming, to be connected either on my desktop (at home) or on my laptop (on the road), for my most streaming intensive libraries.

My idea is to use a raptor (10000rpm, low latency) in a external HD case, connected through eSATA.

I've been browsing forums and I haven't found this kind of config anywhere (raptors are usually used inside computer case, not in external enclosure)

Any idea / comment ?
    Am I dreaming ?

Thank's !

Re: OT - External HD for samples streaming

This is the first I've heard of eSATA. What is it? Do you need a pci card to run it? Can I run it on an "old" dual G5? I'll have to check this out! THANKS!

edit: found this link in a quick search. Anyone recommend it? http://www.creativemac.com/articles/...e.jsp?id=53423

eSATA is a great option, especially eSATA-II which can go to 3Gbps when combined with a fast SATA-II hard disk. Compare that with a maximum of 400Mbps for USB-2 and Firewire. The 10000RPM option will also decrease the seek time.

This question makes me wonder...
    I have my samples on a firewire 800 drive and I record my audio
    to my second internal drive. Since my audio recording isn't nearly
    as taxing as my sample streaming is I wonder if it would be better to
    change my sample disk to my internal drive and audio recording to
    firewire. Any thoughts?

Thanks

The 3rd-generation Raptor has better heat & noise specs than many 7200rpm drives. I have one in my main audio rig (P150 case, HD suspended by rubber) and it's inaudible except for the occasional seek. eSATA is awesome. Go for it!

scf3: if you can switch back & forth without too much hassle, it's worth experimenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    Just be sure that the case you buy has some serious cooling fans, because Raptors get hot. FWIW, current generation 7200 RPM drives have pretty decent performance
    Yes, based on my experience with internal (recent) HD, 7200rpm is "OK" most of the time. But it's a bit tight with big libraries (eg TBO) specially if you add some (samples triggering) scripts.
    A raptor would run streaming much safer, at the expense of noise/heat, witch is also a issue to deal with !

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg
    The 3rd-generation Raptor has better heat & noise specs than many 7200rpm drives. I have one in my main audio rig (P150 case, HD suspended by rubber) and it's inaudible except for the occasional seek
    That's sound interesting. I would really like to put one of this raptor in some fanless alu external case. I'm just wondering if it's enough or if it will burn with all my samples... Streaming is quite demanding for HD.

Back to the eSata point, it is obviously the way to go (at least on the paper), but I would also be relaxed to ear from some musicians using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    Then again, if the drive burns up, everything is backed up, so you'll only be losing a LOT of time.
    And money, those toys are quite expensive too...

Quote Originally Posted by scf3
    This question makes me wonder...
    I have my samples on a firewire 800 drive and I record my audio
    to my second internal drive. Since my audio recording isn't nearly
    as taxing as my sample streaming is I wonder if it would be better to
    change my sample disk to my internal drive and audio recording to
    firewire. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    When i was configuring my system I was advised to use my second internal SATA for samples and to put the audio on the external drive (happens to be FW800). Its been working fine.
    JP

Go Back to forum