• Register
  • Help

Topic: Useful tip?

Share/Bookmark

Useful tip?

First Violins. Two voices. Normally one would set only one instrument in the Kontakt Player, to be called twice. But when applying different volumes (CC#1) to them it will be very distorted. Better is: set the same instrument in two different Kplayers.

Raymond [this also applies to other instruments as well]

Re: Useful tip?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    First Violins. Two voices. Normally one would set only one instrument in the Kontakt Player, to be called twice. But when applying different volumes (CC#1) to them it will be very distorted. Better is: set the same instrument in two different Kplayers.

Raymond [this also applies to other instruments as well]
    ... or set two "first Violins" in the same Kontakt Player.

Very useful tip for individual voicing.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    ... or set two "first Violins" in the same Kontakt Player
    .... but to avoid oversteering of that particular Kontakt Player, I prefer using two, one for each voice. It is not, that there is only one instrument per Kontakt Player, no way, but they don't have multiple calls [in Sonar] when multiple voices are involved.

Raymond

Raymond--I use Sonar also, and am wondering what this meant:

"...they don't have multiple calls [in Sonar] when multiple voices are involved..." --?

I couldn't follow what you meant exactly.

rbowser

Hmm ... not sure but there seems to be room for a little improvement. I have no idea of Sonar but you should be able to adress a stave to an individual instrument in one Kontakt player, and another stave to a second instrument in the same player without any crosstalking. Even the cheapest hosts can do this, so should Sonar.

Perhaps you can find the answer in the Sonar-GPO tutorial at the Garritan support site?

Hannes

Wait a moment.

Perhaps the problem is this: Do you have one stave for both voices? Then be sure that you assign any dynamical information to one of the voices explicitly - either the first or the second - and erase all dynamics and cc information that goes for "all voices". If not, they will fight each other.

Hannes

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    "...they don't have multiple calls [in Sonar] when multiple voices are involved..." --?I couldn't follow what you meant exactly.
    Kplayer1: violin1 ks, violin1 solo, violin1 tremolo, violin1 short bows, violin2 ks

Sonar: track violin1-voice1 refers to violin1 ks, etc....

Kplayer2: violin1 ks, violin2 ks

Sonar: track violin1-voice2 refers to violin1 ks in kplayer2

So without having a single instrument per KPlayer [there are more in one KP], I used different KP's to let Sonar refer to both voices of the violins1.

Clear.....? I hope so'

Raymond

Hello again, Raymond

Thank you for the more detailed explanation of what you were saying about how you use GPO and Sonar together.

Based on this new post and what you seemed to be saying earlier in the thread, I have the impression that you may not be setting up things to your best advantage.

When you select your various string voices in a Kontact player, are you making sure they're each on separate MIDI channels? And important for a different reason, are you clicking on the lower right of the Kontact info screen (above the keyboard) to assign each of the 8 voices to different audio outputs? Those are in stereo pairs--so they are 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, 11/12, 13/14 and 15/16.

With each voice on a separate MIDI channel, there would be no cross-firing MIDI data info, such as differing cc#1 usage on each track.

With each voice coming out of a separate DXi audio track in Sonar, you have complete control over the mix. Remember that you don't only have MIDI volume control, but also audio volume control in Sonar's Console (the mixer).

Be sure when you call up an instance of GPO in Sonar, that you ask for All Audio outputs--not just the choice for a single track. You want 8 audio tracks for each instance of Kontact. You don't want all those instruments coming out of one audio track.

Also, the VSTi version is much more stable in Sonar than the DXi version of GPO.

I think perhaps you're not doing all this, and what I've described is the method for using GPO in Sonar. The only limit to how many GPO instances you can have in a project depends on your computer's CPU. I'm in the habit, out of necessity, of mixing MIDI tracks down to audio often, so that projects can have 8 or more Kontacts playing in them---impossible to have all that playing in "real time."

I hope there's useful information for you in this reply.

rbowser

Thank you very much about that tip using all audio outputs of the KP.
    Next time I will use that. For now I managed to get things ready for final mastering...... a hell of a job ....... (doing it not in Sonar, because my CPU isn't fast enough).

Raymond

Go Back to forum